banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No biased opinions! are duncans just better than dimarzio's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No biased opinions! are duncans just better than dimarzio's?

I like the Duncan pickups better overall. But theres not a Duncan pickup that can touch the DiMarzio PAF PRO.

Comment

duncans seem to have more overall clarity, IMO. most dimarzio's i've tried are fuzzy sounding. i prefer duncans, but there are some dimarzio's that i like alot. the super distortion, super 3, paf pro, tone zone, steve special, air norton are just a few. due to some help from Biu, i put a super distortion in my red charvel and it sounds amazing! thanks Biu!
      but the Custom sounds the best out of anything i've tried

Comment

^^^ man you named like most of DiMarzio's pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
          I find Dimarzios to sound almost EXACTLY like their descriptions UNLIKE Ducans. Also, Duncans tone chart is kind of weak compared to the stats on the Dimarzios.

Double cream is an ugly color anyway but I still have love for both companies.
          I agree to some extent on this one, Especially on the EQ, you look at the EQ of the Duncan Custom and Compare it to the Custom Custom. They look totally different and I don't think ceramic to A2 cuts 3/4 of the treble off. And the ssl-1 has more bass compared to the custom staggered? The JB looks scooped in mids! I like how dimarzio uses milivolts for output instead of DC Resistance, which isn't lways the deciding factor in volume.
          Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
          JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
          Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
          Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
          Dunlop Classic Crybaby
          Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

here's why I buy duncans. I hardly even know how Dimarzios sound. When I was buying pickups for the first time, I was still highly uneducated. Seeing Dimarzio's company name on the Ibanez website, I went to their website, and not knowing quite how to interpret the info on their website, I called them up to ask a couple questions. When I asked if whatever pickup (I think the super distortion) was right for the style of play I was interested in, he replied, "Well, you obviously don't know nearly enough about anything to be calling me up. You need to consider the wood, the amp, the string gauge, your mother's maiden name (he may has well have said that... as I said, I had just gotten into playing), and until you become better educated on your end, I can be of no help to you." to this I replied, "That's right, you can't be of any help to me. I called you for information on a product I might potentially buy and you were that rude to me? I will never buy anything from your company." and promptly hung up the phone. That is the difference between Duncan and Dimarzio. Dimarzio isn't willing to work with the consumer, one thousandth as much as Duncan is. As for that guitar I was looking to put pickups in? Soon after speaking to Dimarzio, I got into Duncans, did some research, and bought a Dimebucker and Distortion. Not a single person has ever played my SG (which, mind you, is a Silvertone) and not been completely impressed with the tone. Since then, I have purchased three single coils to put into my strat, and I am now building a Warmoth double cut Les Paul, in which I am most likely putting an A2P Humbucker Neck, Hot Rails Single Mid, Pearly Gates Humbucker Bridge. I don't see myself ever straying from Duncan pickups. Any smart company knows that the most important thing, above products, prices, anything, is their customers. That said, Seymour Duncan is an absolute genius. And that is why Seymour Duncan is better than Dimarzio.

Comment

^^^^ yeah i agree with you, i called dimarzio when i was replcaing an evolution bridge model, and the guy who answered the phone seemed really arrogant. although he was helpful, he seemed like an ass.
              so, basically, their pickups are better than their service.

Comment

The truth is you could probably tweak anything to get close to the sound you want. If I had gone by the reviews at Harmony Central I probably wouldn't have gotten the PG. Most guys said it was either too muddy or too bright. After tweaking the height and polepieces it's time to look at other pickups. For me the PafPro wasn't hot enough and the Fred had a fizzy, buzzy quality I didn't like. The Pg cured output issue and the Blues Trembucker is clear and solid.

There just is no best anything, it's just what's right for you. The PafPro is a good neck pickup, but for me the PG buries it in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                  well for now i will stick to dimarzio . see i was told that the dimarzio's are better suited for ibanez RG guitars than duncans?
                  Yeah this is often said on the harmony central forum. But I couldn't imagine that in my RG there is something better sounding than the JB.
                  And why should Dimarzios be better in RGs than duncans? It's just a matter of taste....
                  Last edited by Marcel; 04-09-2004, 07:18 PM.
                  RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                  TS 7 (modded)
                  Hot Rod 50+ XL
                  Framus Dragon 4x12
                  V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                    Yeah this is often said on the harmony central forum. But I couldn't imagine that in my RG there is something better sounding than the JB.
                    And why should Dimarzios be better in RGs than duncans? It's just a matter of taste....

like NeeraDJ said, they just fit better

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                      like NeeraDJ said, they just fit better
                      hehe the Trembucker polepieces fits better than the stock pu's in my RG. but i had to make the hole in the pickguard a bit wider. But you can simply do this with a knife.
                      Last edited by Marcel; 04-09-2004, 07:44 PM.
                      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                      TS 7 (modded)
                      Hot Rod 50+ XL
                      Framus Dragon 4x12
                      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

the stupid triangle shaped thingy's(i forgot what they're called) on dimarzios are the only ones that fit ibanez's. unless you file it down with a dremil tool, or something. they aint going in.

Comment

i have a dimarzo s2 or something... nots ure... lol ... in the bridge of my strat. its not bad, but idk theres something about it that i just cant quite figure out... im going to replace it probably with a jb jr or maybe a full-blown jb after making adjustments to my strat.
                          [SIZE=1]Guitars:
                          Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
                          Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
                          Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
                          Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
                          Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

Working...
                          X