A penny for your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A penny for your thoughts

I'm considering replacing the pickups in my Ibanez AX320 and I wanted to get the 411 on a couple of the SD models before I spend my $$$. First of all for those not familiar with this guitar it is basically an SG copy; mahogany body, 2HB, maple set-in neck. I use it to play souther/classic/hard rock and some occassional classic metal and punk (but the later are not my normal fare). I'm also using a Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 212 combo and minimal effects.

So here are the setups I'm considering:
    JB/Jazz - Conventional wisdom seems to be that the best choices for this guitar would be the JB/Jazz. While I'm not opposed to this I feel like this is the setup used by the entire free world.

Alnico II Pro/Jazz - I played an AP2 equiped Les Paul a couple of years ago and I was really blown away. My concern about this setup is that it might be too tame for hard rock.

Custom Custom/Jazz - If the AP2 is too tame them maybe the CC woud be better. My thought is that it would still would have the smooth highs and lows like the AP2 with a little more output.

Another change I've considered is using a Phat-cat in the neck instead of the Jazz for the above setups.

So what do you think?

Re: A penny for your thoughts

Here are a few combos to ponder:

Custom Custom bridge / Alnico II Pro neck
    Pearly Gates bridge and neck
    Pearly Gates Bridge / Alnico II Pro neck
    '59 bridge and neck
    '59 bridge / Alnico II Pro neck
    Custom Custom bridge / '59 neck
    JB bridge / '59 neck
    JB bridge / Full Shred neck
    Phat Cat bridge and neck

Other manufacturers:
    Wagner Fillmore set (crcoils.com)
    Rio Grande BBQ bridge / Texas neck (or a Bastard)
    Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

Hi, I have an SG 61 reissue looking thing which is great but needed pups. I put the 59 in the bridge and alnico 2 at the neck. Sounds sweet clean and good dirty. Doesn't have the aggressive middy sound of my Gibson SG but, who wants 'em to sound the same?
      It's me!! :duh: :saeek:

Comment

Thanks for the input Mike_d and juliang. Based on the sound clips I would have to say that the Jazz is my favorite neck pickup for both clean and dirty but the Alnico2 is a close second. I like the clean clip for the PG but the dirty clip seems a bit lifeless (again in the neck position). I hadn't even considered the Full Shred and I like the dirty clip, but the clean clip lacks the warmth of the Alnico or Jazz.

For the bridge I'm still leaning towards the Custom Custom. The Alnico2 and PG are in a tie for second place. Based on the clips I would probably side with the PG, but if my memory serves me corectly I recall the A2P sounding much better than the clip provided. The '59 isn't bad, but it doesn't "light my fire" either. And the JB, well, everyone in the free world...

So here's my revised list:
        #1 Jazz/Custom Custom
        #2 Alnico2/Custom Custom
        #3 Jazz/Alnico2
        #4 Alnico2/Alnico2
        #5 Jazz/Pearly Gates
        #6 Alnico2/Pearly Gates

Comment

If anyone is wondering which I went with I chose option #2 Alnico II Pro/ Custom Custom and I'm loving it.

Comment

Love is a many splendid thing, SD pups are the bizz, how can you ever go wrong. I bought quite a few in bargain bins, ah the $$ helps the choosing process. But in fact SD have always made great pups, I just don't like De Marzios, SD have a much more smooth and quality sound to me, whichever you get. Still searching the discount baskets for some pups for a STrat which sounds too harsh!!!!!
            It's me!! :duh: :saeek:

Comment

for your situation I'd say a '59 neck and Custom bridge are where it's at.

Comment

Working...
              X