Which Duncans for Blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Duncans for Blues?

Hey everyone, I just registerd for these forums. I've been on musicianforums.com for I think over a year, but I'm glad to move to her. IMO there are more talented musicians here, not just 200 million Kirk Hammette wanna bes lol. Well here's my question...

I want to make my Dean EVO Dragster into a blues machine (untill i get my hands on an Oxblood LP with 57 Classics). I want to really be able to drive a clean amp, like BB. King and all those other great blues guitarists do. I want a thick, defining tone. I've heard some clips of a CC and C5 combo, it sounded great. What pickups would you reccomend? and When people refer to the CC and C5 combo, what are the full names of those pickups? And what positions are preferd for those? Thanks alot!

Josh
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: Which Duncans for Blues?

For blues I personally recommend the Alnico II Pro's. They're the warmest pickups I've ever played.....and they have a balanced, thick, defining tone.

Comment

For a straight blues guitar an Antiquity set is hard to beat. I have a LP with a C-5 in it but the C-5 is a bit hot for blues and can sound a little too focused for a blues tone. The Antys are absolutely killer for blues.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
        For a straight blues guitar an Antiquity set is hard to beat. I have a LP with a C-5 in it but the C-5 is a bit hot for blues and can sound a little too focused for a blues tone. The Antys are absolutely killer for blues.
        I have to agree with what Robert said. The Antiquity hums have a wonderful open airiness about them which lends them very well to the blues tone. I just love goin' thru some blues runs in the neck position with a little rollback on the vol & tone. Sweet indeed. I haven't tried the Alnico II Pro's, but have heard nothing but favorable comments about them. Don't think you could go wrong either way. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Hi , Welcome to the board the CC stands for CustomCustom And the C5
          is a simiular PuP but with a A5 magnet. Those 2 PuPs are not the best
          for blues,Cuz' there hot and aggresive. For Blues I'd say the 59er, Pearly gates of like Jolly said the Alnico II APH-II. IMHO the 59er has a bright
          vintage tone, the APH-II has a warm smooth sound, And the PG is a
          cross bettween the 59er and the APH II but with a little attitude(think Billy
          Gibbon's right outta the BOX !! Good Luck
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

So by the sounds of it, the APH-II ( Alnico II Pro right?) sounds go for thick, clear and clean rhythems, and the 59 pearly gates sounds good for some neck position leads?
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ
              So by the sounds of it, the APH-II ( Alnico II Pro right?) sounds go for thick, clear and clean rhythems, and the 59 pearly gates sounds good for some neck position leads?
              Sounds like a plan
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Antiquities would be a very good choice, as would a set of Phat Cats, although I'm not familiar with your guitar. I recently dropped a set of Phat Cats in a LP and they sound great. They really do give up the goods on the P90 tone, which makes for some great blues sounds. Mine are extremely quiet as well.

Comment

Here's a link of my new baby:

I'm actually going to get a complete set of Alnico II Pro's, then some gold hardware. And yellow pickup covers, just picture it! Now that's gonna have tone and stage presence.
                  Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                  Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                  PRS McCarty STD
                  '71 Gibson SG Custom
                  Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                  Vox AD15VT

Comment

first thing i thought of were seth lovers. they are basically what the antiquities are from what i heard. only difference from what i heard is the antiquities have a worn in sound where the seth's sound new.
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I have experience playing the following;

PG
                      CC
                      Anti
                      Seth Lover
                      Alnico 2 Pro
                      JB
                      Phat Cats (P90 Tone)

My favorites for blues woud be the Phat Cats, then the Alnico 2 Pro neck witha custom custom bridge. That A2P/CC combo will also do a great job with classic rock.

I'm just a p90 ho though. Just love em.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, really. These forums are great. On musicianforums.com, kids would hav just said get EMG's like Kirk and Zakk. . . lol. Muchas Gracias!
                        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                        PRS McCarty STD
                        '71 Gibson SG Custom
                        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                        Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ
                          Thanks for the advice guys, really. These forums are great. On musicianforums.com, kids would hav just said get EMG's like Kirk and Zakk. . . lol. Muchas Gracias!
                          yea. What's ur name on musicianforums?

mines this one obviously (look to ur left)

I find this forum more helpful on a technical standpoint
                          <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
                          Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
                          Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

Originally posted by Tweed
                            Antiquities would be a very good choice, as would a set of Phat Cats, although I'm not familiar with your guitar. I recently dropped a set of Phat Cats in a LP and they sound great. They really do give up the goods on the P90 tone, which makes for some great blues sounds. Mine are extremely quiet as well.
                            I second the Phat Cats I just put a set in My Epi over here on the left.
                            His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Man anything in the tweaked PAF range will get you home for sure. The A2P might be a little too friendly sounding for a Hot Rod like the EVO though. The Phat Cats are cool but the nickel covers might look a little funky? I'd probably throw in a set of black open coil 59's, a little edgy but still in that old school range. Good luck with the new axe and welcome to your next obsession the SDuncan Forum.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X