pup for the basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pup for the basswood

I am looking for a HOT, TIGHT, WARM sound. This guitar has a maple neck bolt on the Basswood body, and the fingerboard is rosewood.
    Thanks guys!

Cheers!

Re: pup for the basswood

DiMarzio Super Distortion.

I have one in a basswood Strat and it sounds great. Full bottom end with tons of midrange, and some harmonic thing going on that just gets better as the gain gets higher.

I'm sure the rest of the board will be quick with the Duncan recommendations. I have a JB that I like as well, but I've never tried it in basswood. It's warmer and more open sounding than the Super Distortion, but it's not as tight in my opinion.
    Last edited by some_dude; 11-05-2004, 09:22 PM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

True to Screamingdaisy's prediction, I have DiMarzio Breed pups in my basswood guitar (Jem 7D), and they sound much better than any other DM pup, like the Tone Zone, Air Norton, Fred, etc ...

You can hear it in action at http://twilightsongs8.tripod.com
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks so much!
        The guitar is EBMM JP. Though it sounds not warm enough, kinda cold, I can afford the neck pup(still not really cool IMO).
        The bridge pup sounds like a XXXX. It's cold, harsh, loose, mussy, etc etc..... not for palm muting. But when you play some low notes, it sounds very clean and clear, but I am not a shredder.
        The Breed is great! Thanks Mr. TwilightOdyssey. I ordered a set 3 days ago for the other alder body guitar.
        The Super Distortion would be cool. Thanks Mr. screamingdaisy. But I never tried a Super Distortion. Any clips? Thanks.

BTW, how is the Duncan Custom Custom's output?

Comment

I must agree with screamingdaisy.
          I have a Super Distortion in an Ibanez Basswood guitar, and i'm satisfied.
          Pickups... the final frontier.
          These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
          Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

How about the Super Distortion's clean and soloability?

Comment

+1 for the breed i have one in an alder strat and im completely satisfied with my tone though i can imagine it sounding more even in basswood. I like the massive mid range the breed gets when in alder.

Comment

Originally posted by boogie
                How about the Super Distortion's clean and soloability?
                I run mine split for cleans, and it's not too bad (I prefer the neck single coils I have in that guitar for cleans).

For gain, it's the most harmonically complex sounding pickup I've played; it manages to be great for both rhythm and soloing.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                X