Evan, could you please help me out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan, could you please help me out?

Evan,i have heard over at other forums that the older JB(JBJ stickered) pups are a bit warmer and hotter than the newer JB's?
    if you could please take a minute and read this,

I wanted to hear from you about this?
    thanks in advance

Re: Evan, could you please help me out?

Sabatage:

The formula for the JB has remained the same for 30 years. However, older JBs tend to be in older guitars. Plus alnico magnets tend to lose their gauss strength over time as they're exposed to certain environmental factors (shock, temperature changes, interaction with stray magnetic fields). Well-played, old guitars tend to have experienced those environmental factors.

That explains why the old ones sound different. It's the same reason many old pickups sound different than new ones.

It's the same difference between an Antiquity humbucker and a Seth Lover.

That explains the warmth.

As for old ones being hotter? I've never heard that one before.

I hope that helps.

- Evan
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
      Sabatage:

The formula for the JB has remained the same for 30 years. However, older JBs tend to be in older guitars. Plus alnico magnets tend to lose their gauss strength over time as they're exposed to certain environmental factors (shock, temperature changes, interaction with stray magnetic fields). Well-played, old guitars tend to have experienced those environmental factors.

That explains why the old ones sound different. It's the same reason many old pickups sound different than new ones.

It's the same difference between an Antiquity humbucker and a Seth Lover.

That explains the warmth.

As for old ones being hotter? I've never heard that one before.

I hope that helps.

- Evan
      thanks evan that answers what i needed to know

Comment

I used to have an old stickered JB that I sold to Cory XC (stupid move, i want it back now) and that thing had the same amount of output but it WAS tonally a little thicker and smoother sounding.

Sorry to hijack but i wonder if the Custom shop could artificially age the magnet on a JB a decade or so to give it that sound right out of the box? I thinkt ey can do this... called Dun-Aging or something like that. I'd get that pickup right away if I could.

Comment

Working...
        X