H/S for Tele,what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/S for Tele,what to do?

First of all, this is my first post and thanks! I'm thinking of routing out my Tele to fit a Humbucker in neck pos. I'm looking for more "raunch", "punch" and "pop" in the sound. I play blues/rock and like a sound with a nasty disposition. I'm new to this sort of thing, but after some reading, am thinking about a Pearly Gates at neck and QuarterPound lead at bridge. Any thoughts on how this will sound? Thanx

Re: H/S for Tele,what to do?

Originally posted by Bluecat
    First of all, this is my first post and thanks! I'm thinking of routing out my Tele to fit a Humbucker in neck pos. I'm looking for more "raunch", "punch" and "pop" in the sound. I play blues/rock and like a sound with a nasty disposition. I'm new to this sort of thing, but after some reading, am thinking about a Pearly Gates at neck and QuarterPound lead at bridge. Any thoughts on how this will sound? Thanx

Welcome to the forum!

I have the PGn (neck) pickup in my main strat right now. It sounds very good. Is your tele ash or alder? My strat is ash and the pup sounds smooth and is pretty well defined on the high strings. I don't like it much for rhythm (at least not with a lot of distortion). Teles are usually a little brighter than Strats, so too much mush on the bottom may not be a problem for you.

I don't know anything about the QuarterPound tele pup. The only thing I'd be worried about would be matching the volume of the two pickups. This may not be a problem, but I can't tell ya for sure b/c, as I said, I've never used the QuarterPound. I've heard good things about the QP strat pickups though, in terms of tone. I think that they're my next purchase...!

Hope this helps!
    Farkus
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

What about a QP neck as well? The QP's kick so much ass. I'd give it a shot before cutting the guitar up, you get almost a P-90 tone out of them even in the neck postion. The QP bridge is my fav Tele pup, get the tapped version and double your options.

Welcome to the board!
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

i think a pgn and qp tele lead would be a cool combo. i use both pups just not togeather but i think they would mix very well

Comment

wish i oculd help from experience - but i cant

just a quick "welcome to the board"

good luck

cheers,
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I asked a somewhat related question last week. I'm gonna put the Lil 59 in the bridge of my Tele and take my Antiquity bridge Humbucker pickup and put it in the neck position. I already had it custom ordered from Duncan with 4 wire leads to have it split. Normally they come as 2 wire.
            Institute Of Noise Music Productions
            http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
            Bogner Amplification
            http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

Working...
            X