Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats a good shreddin' pickup?

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
    i have a custom in my other charvel, i love it but it may be too bright with no tone pot.
    I have the tone pot disconnected and the Custom is very bright in my RG. Maybe a bit harsh. That's the reason the JB will go back in the bridge. Though the custom is a nice detuned under high gain with (a bit trash) i like it for metal .
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

The Screamin' Demon is by far the best shred pick up I have ever come across, it could also sound pretty good for riffing with the right rig. Huge picking attack, tons of harmonics, lots of mids and treble, and a growl to scare away the voltures! It could however brighten up too much in you axe, but you will get that George Lynch brightness which I personally love. So I think the C5 will be your best option in the end, just because of the bottom end, and I heard some very good shred sounds coming out of that thing. If it was more modern voiced, I'd defenitely try it myself. You could indeed try a Custom, if you wanted something more agressive and cutting, but since your gain for more paf voicing the C5 would grap ya a little better
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

thanks for all the replies, im going to the music store today, i'll see what they have there.

Comment

if you would have asked me this a few days ago i would have said dunno???
          Now i can say THE PAF PRO with no doubt!
          it is perfect for shred,it smokes the duncan demon which i tried in my RG.
          it has a more powerful paf type tone with extreme clarity and focus which the demon was supposed to have and did not!
          Last edited by RG 2570; 04-05-2004, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I'd say try a dimebucker. I put one in my les paul and I love it.

Comment

i've tried a dimebucker in the washburn model and :o

it was insane! i didn't like it though.
              it looks so far that im gonna try the super distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                if you would have asked me this a few days ago i would have said dunno???
                Now i can say THE PAF PRO with no doubt!
                it is perfect for shred,it smokes the duncan demon which i tried in my RG.
                it has a more powerful paf type tone with extreme clarity and focus which the demon was supposed to have and did not!
                I actually think the Demon does have those (positive Paf Pro) characteristics and more, I'm keeping in mind we all play different things with different axes, but I never heard this before. I also think the demon has more of a shredlike tone, the Paf Pro does also, but in a more Satch and Vai kinda way. It reminded me of Vai during the recordings of Alien love Secrets, and it kinda reminds me of the Satch sound in the late '90's. The Demon has a more Duncan-ish vibe to it, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, and ofcourse George Lynch-ish. Meaning it's less wah, more down to earth lead

Overall, I think I like everything about the Demon compared to the Paf Pro better, but I'm not saying the Paf Pro doesn't own those characteristics, just not as good IMO
                Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

whats with the dimarzio hatred and then you talk about using them
                  Down at the edge, close by a river.
                  Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                  Close to the end, down by the corner.
                  Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Originally posted by yes-fan
                    whats with the dimarzio hatred and then you talk about using them
                    what hatred?

Comment

ok, i went with Biu's advice and bought a super distortion due to his rockin' tone!

wish me luck

Comment

CUSTOM all the waaaayyyyy!

Comment

Working...
                        X