"Noob" Old-Timer needs some advice,please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Noob" Old-Timer needs some advice,please

Hello all, been about 9 years since I’ve played and am getting back into things (been lurking here for a few weeks). Had great luck with Duncan pups way back when so I thought I’d throw out a few questions and seek your advice.

I’m going to be selling my 1995 Heritage HCI150 Les Paul (came with Duncan 59s) sunburst, and getting a strat style guitar…as I’ve aged I prefer the feel, versatility and sound of the bolt ons vs. the Gibsons I preferred when I was younger. Most likely I’ll be grabbing an Ibanez S470DX (mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood board, floyd rose, H-S-H) or a Mexican Strat (alder body, H-S-S w/ a Floyd…wish I’d never traded my blueburst Deluxe Strat Plus I put a bridge JB trembucker in, for the Heritage..but anyhoo).

Of the two, the Ibanez is my first choice, but I know the pickups are…ehhh. So I’m looking for some suggestions as there are newer pickups, amps (selling my 1987 Marshall reissue too), etc out there today. I play mostly hard rock ala early Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions etc, but also plan on learning/playing more modern stuff ala Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, etc. I don’t want anything too twangy or bright, but I’d like something that is "fat" has clarity and definition with very high gain while still sounding warm, both for the Neck and bridge humbuckers…something that will (if possible) also mix well with a single coil in the #2 and #4 positions (a tall order I’m sure). A recommendation for the single coil slot would be appreciated as well. Something more “stratty” for clean sounds rather than “hot”

I’ll prolly be running through a Line 6 Spider II or similar modeling amp like the new Vox models..again looking for versatility…1987 Marshall 50w sounds great…but just for one or two things.

Sorry for the long-winded post, and thanx in advance.

BTW. Any idea what would be a good asking price for the Heritage? Cherry sunburst, Duncan 59s, pretty nice flame-maple, pretty darn good shape, (missing plastic knob on pickup switch, a few minor scratches) w/ hard case (couple latches broke on case)…just needs an action/intonation job. And I’ve got a “brand new” bridge Custom pup for it I never had put in. Thanx again.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: "Noob" Old-Timer needs some advice,please

Bump.
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

If you get the Ibby, I'd put a Custom Custom in the bridge slot, Alnico II PRo flat for the middle, and Alnico II Pro Humbucker in the neck. Combined with the single and a 5 way switch that splits automatically, the CC and APH will do very well for pristine cleand and heavy overdrive.

I'd avoid the Spider II. THe cleans are great on that amp, but the OD models wre buzzy and uninspiring for me. You will have better luck with the Vox Valvetronix models, I think.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Another Bump (thanx rainmaker!)

And Thank you for the advice Benjy. The Spider II seems to be an absolutely love it, or hate it thing with people. I'll check out the Valvetronix as well, and I heard some clips of the Peavey Transtubes that sounded quite good..very smooth & "tube-like".

The Ibanez is on the way, anyone else care to comment on pickup selection?

Thank you
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Well, I think first that it is wise to go with SD's in the Ibanez for starters...heh heh. I've tried lots of pickups in many different axes, but never in the exact model that you're talking about. Personally, I did have a JB in a basswood guitar w/locking trem in the past, and I really liked it. For a neck pickup, I'm not so sure. Do you want fatness? Or do you want definition? For me, I like my Pearly Gates neck pickup, but I'm not sure how it would sound in that axe. I'd go with a JB in the bridge for starters and build from there.

Farkus
          2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
          1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
          X