heart warming story of a pickup swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart warming story of a pickup swap

About a week ago I finally got around to doing a pickup swap that I'd been procrastinating. The guitar was my USA Hamer Diablo. It had a JB Trembucker in the bridge and a JB in the neck. It was a nice playing guitar, but the tone just really wasn't there. It was thin sounding and didn't really have a whole lot of sustain or general balls to it. I had a pair of Distortions just waiting to be thrown in there.

Well, after getting them in there, performing all of the adjustments and set-ups, it was over. Can I possibly tell you the difference in tone of this guitar? It was a whole other animal. Sustain, power, harmonics, low mids, tight bass, even treble, total articulation in both the neck and the bridge. Plus it's got a 5 way switch so I can split both pickups and run them as singles. Holy crap does this thing clean up nice! Crystal, bell like cleans that will rival any Strat I've heard.

I've been preaching the greatness of the Distortion for a while here. This swap just might have proven me to be too conservative. Not only is the Distortion the best metal riffing pickup ever. It is also an incredible neck shredding lead pickup, an amazing split clean pickup, and an amazing pure rock pickup. It'll even work up some blues for you as well. I always knew the Distortions were more versatile than people generally thought. They are more versatile than I thought. And I've had one for over 10 years.

After this rant, all I can say is that I'll be preaching the Distortion for the rest of my life. Hopefully I can convert some of you non-believers to the church of the SH-6.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: heart warming story of a pickup swap

I find posts like this to be very interesting, partly because it, along with some others, is re-inforcing the idea that perhaps the Distortion and the Full Shred are very cool, and user-friendly p'ups, hidden behind by clever aliases.

Yet another one to add to my list of p'ups I want to try. Thanks Travis.

Artie

Comment

Yeah, actually that combo (Distortion/Full Shred) is going to go into my Charvel 750xl when I get them. I'm psyched.
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Heh - yeah, I just saw your other post where you went out and bought it.

Fortunately, I just happen to have a Full Shred neck laying around here somewhere. The Distortion, I'd have to buy.
        (Unless I can trade someone a Duncan Custom for it.)

Artie

Comment

Amen brother

Tone heaven is a fat strat with a Distortion bridge and two cool rails in the neck and middle. That is by far my favorite strat setup. Freakin amazing lead tone, and they clean up wonderfully.

Comment

I have a Duncan Designed version of the Distortion and I always seem to stick it back in something and love it.

Comment

Cool story, I am replacing my JB too for something with more low end but I was advised not to get the DD because it's supposedly very trebly?
              I have a Custom on it's way to me, still I wonder how the Distortion would be. I remember I liked the neck model I used to have for a short period but that was with a different set-up.

Comment

I've never found the Distortion to have too much treble, on the contrary just enough. I have a Custom 7 in my RG1527 and it's good. But it's no Distortion. The Custom stays nice and tight in the bottom and the harmonics are o.k. Nothing really much else to write home about. The DD is where it's at for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                  Hopefully I can convert some of you non-believers to the church of the SH-6.
                  Reverend Travis, can't wait to you preach your new sermon on the SH-6!!!

Comment

It appears as though the time for my next sermon has come. This thread was located on the second page. Come now, non-believers. Convert and spread the holy word. The Church of the SH-6 needs your support. All things can be accmoplished through the Distortion. Put your faith into the DD in all of its forms, SH-6, TB-6, PATB-2. Your soul will be filled with an overabundance of metal. I preach the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                      It appears as though the time for my next sermon has come. This thread was located on the second page. Come now, non-believers. Convert and spread the holy word. The Church of the SH-6 needs your support. All things can be accmoplished through the Distortion. Put your faith into the DD in all of its forms, SH-6, TB-6, PATB-2. Your soul will be filled with an overabundance of metal. I preach the truth.
                      LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

man, i dont have enough guitars

Comment

It's the new holy trinity. All Distortions are one in the same, but different. The father (SH-6), the son (TB-6) and the holy sh!t!! (PATB-2).

Comment

Yeah, the Distortion is underrated, mostly due to its name.
                            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Today is the Sabbath. Don't forget to worship the Distortion and give thanks for providing answers to all your metal needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X