Dimarzio HS-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio HS-3

anybody here have any experience with the Dimarzio HS-3? i just got one for the bridge of my strat and i can't decide whether to wire it single coil or humbucker.

Re: Dimarzio HS-3

I have one in my Ibanez, only mine is in the neck position. It sounds really good in the neck, and equally good when it's split into single coil. Why not just wire it with a coil tap so you can get both tones. My favorite thing about it is that it looks exactly like a traditional single coil pick up, as do Dimarzio's virtual vintage series.

Comment

i want to keep it simple, so i will forgo the coiltap. i guess i could try it single, and then switch to humbucker later. i just want some opinions on how it will sound either way in the bridge of my strat.

Comment

I had one in the bridge of my Strat years ago and I thought it was too thin, and under powered even in humbucking mode. The Strat single coils were louder. As a neck/middle pickup it works well though. In a strat now I have a YJM which is the HS-3 just wuth staggered poles in the neck, stock middle, and a Hot Rails in the bridge and it works well for that. YMMV though.

Comment

Remember that the single-coil mode is slightly LOUDER than in series!
          I use coil-splitting with the tone pot: on 0-9 you have a tone pot and on 10 you have a splitted coil.
          Pickups... the final frontier.
          These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
          Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
            I had one in the bridge of my Strat years ago and I thought it was too thin, and under powered even in humbucking mode. The Strat single coils were louder.
            I had EXACTLY the same experience. Couldn't get on with it at all. Love the DiMarzio FS-1 though.

Comment

well, i've got it in series now. sounds pretty good considering that i took out the mexican stock pickups. thats not to say that it wouldn't have sounded good otherwise.next time i need some new strings, i might go back in and make it a single coil just to see how it sounds.

Comment

I use the HS2, but only the top half. Yeah, it's louder split/tapped than in series, because the bottom coil doesn't generate any signal; it only loads the circuit.

Comment

i am thinking about putting it in the neck as a single coil, and getting a 'lil '59 or 'lil screamin deamon for the bridge, unless someone can recommend a big fat sounding true single coil for the bridge. i would like to stay with all single coils, but i am thinking that i really want some "umph" at the bridge.

Comment

I kinnna liked the HS-3 in the neck of my Strats.

For bridge, it just does not cut it. Too underpowered. I don't particularly like the way that it's voiced for bridge use, either.

It's a pretty generic sounding pickup. It's cool for that neck position if you want to decrease muddiness there. I actually liked it better split...had a lot more 'breath' to it IMO. Without a doubt it's more responsive to dynamics in the split mode.

I tried the YJM's...I have some reservations about saying that they're HS-3's with staggered poles. I've used a lot of HS-3's in the past, and the YJM's didn't sound the same to me. I know that with staggered poles the sound is different, but not that different. I didn't pull out the multimeter, but the YJM SEEMED to have less output and punch. I paired 2 of them in neck and middle with a HS-3 in the bridge. It was more balanced than a set of HS-3's, but then all positions sounded thin and lifeless. If I was gonna use HS-3's again, I'd use HS-3 neck and middle with a hot rails in the bridge. But I probably won't...hehehe. I'm building a Strat with a Malmsteen body, but I'm gonna use Ant's or Quarter Pounds (if only they came in white...argh!).

Farkus
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
                    X