Which Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Custom?

Which Custom would be most appropriate in a basswood guitar with a bolt-on maple/rosewood neck & a Floyd for metal? I'm looking for an aggressive rhythm tone & smooth, fat single notes.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Which Custom?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    Which Custom would be most appropriate in a basswood guitar with a bolt-on maple/rosewood neck & a Floyd for metal? I'm looking for an aggressive rhythm tone & smooth, fat single notes.
    I'd go with the C5 or CC, while the first may seem scooped, & the latter mid-prominent, they'll both do metal if you plug it in to a hot amp. I've seen alot of favorable responses for the Custom too, although I haven't tried it myself.
    I'm sure that helped alot. Guess the truth is, they're all good. What do you like? Just need to try'em, if possible. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

C5

Comment

Personally, I would say anything but the C-5, with a nod to the CC. I guess you'll just have to buy one and a couple spare magnets!

Comment

Will Duncan sell just the magnets?
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

what sorta music do u play?

lots of heavy metal? - custom
            more hard rock - c5
            80s stuff? - CC

thats my opinion anyways

Ishan
            Guitars:
            Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
            Amps:
            Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

Yeah, C5 can be trebly to some. I've said this before, but you simply cannot go wrong with a JB (especially if you get most of your distortion from the amp end).
              Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
              ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
              ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
              ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
              ESP KH-1
              LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
              BC Rich KKV
              Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
              Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
                Yeah, C5 can be trebly to some. I've said this before, but you simply cannot go wrong with a JB (especially if you get most of your distortion from the amp end).
                I have a JB, and it's a tie with the Invader for my all time favorite pickup. I've come to grips with the fact that I'm never going to be content with my tone, and I have yet to try any of the Customs.

About 95% of what I play is metal, so I'll probably just get a Custom trembucker.

Comment

I have some of the Troy Stetina Metal Guitar books and his tone is one of the best I've heard. I heard he uses the Custom.
                  Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
                    I vote for the JB as well.
                    My Gear:
                    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

A clip from one of his books:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                      Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                        About 95% of what I play is metal, so I'll probably just get a Custom trembucker.
                        Good choice,IMO.
                        "Scalloped & Stickered"
                        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Personally, I'd look into the Distortion if metal is your flavor of choice. It can do it all.
                          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I have used the Distortion. As I stated before, I wanted to try something from the Custom series, and just wanted to know which one to start with.

Comment

Working...
                            X