JB and Holdsworth - same pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB and Holdsworth - same pup?

The specs (magnet type, dc resistance ) are very close on these 2 pups so are they essentially the same ?
    Holdsworth's recorded tones in the last 15 years don't bring to mind the scorching JB but who knows.
    Any comments? - Rob

They're basically the same thing. The Holdsworth has two rows of adjustable screw poles.

Comment

close but no cigar jake e lee used an A. H. for a while and then back to a JB
      Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
      Suhr OD-50
      Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Re: JB and Holdsworth - same pup?

Originally posted by rmcfee
        The specs (magnet type, dc resistance ) are very close on these 2 pups so are they essentially the same ?
        Holdsworth's recorded tones in the last 15 years don't bring to mind the scorching JB but who knows.
        Any comments? - Rob
        the AH-1 is a JB with a alnico II magnet and two matching rows of adjustable screw head poles.

Comment

i used to have an ah1 and it sounded great, smoother than a jb but kinda similar

Comment

I thought they both had Alnico 5 according to an OLD catalogue. Maybe they changed. - Rob

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
              i used to have an ah1 and it sounded great, smoother than a jb but kinda similar
              yeah it is smoother for sure it has less of a attacky tone but has the cool harmonics and "voice like" lead tone of the JB but just warmer
              I recomend to try a alnico II magnet in a stock JB to hear what a AH-1 "kind of" sounds like,if you really want to "COPY" the JB from a AH you have to remove the slug poles of the JB and replace with adjustable screws.
              you will need the alnico II magnet,a 50 mm keeper bar if you have a regular size JB(52mm if you have a trembucker) and six screws from this guy and you are set

if you feel uneasy about the MOD i do them for a low cost as well as other mods to stock pups

Comment

The old SH-AH1b Holdsworth was very similar to the SH-4. They both use Alnico 5 magnets and a similar wind. The SH-AH had a slightly brighter tone.

You can order an SH-4 with double screws and you'd get very, very close to the SH-AH1b.

Did I mention "very close?"
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

It's also worth mentioning that a double screw JB can be ordred as a shop floor custom at no additional cost .... been there, done that!!

Comment

Is it possible to order other standard SD pickups with the double screw poles as a shop floor custom?

That said how would I go about ordering a lilJB with allen poles instead of screws? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                      Is it possible to order other standard SD pickups with the double screw poles as a shop floor custom?

That said how would I go about ordering a lilJB with allen poles instead of screws? Thanks
                      Double adjustable HB's are no problem. Allen heads are probably OK in a standard HB too, but I'm not sure about the Jr. If the the correct sized allens are used standard in another model they should do it for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X