Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SZ-320 and Pups!!

Hi everyone im a new member
    I'm a little bit confused so I'll try to ask you guys some questions.

First of all when many of you refer to a JB, is it correct to assume that you are talking about the SH-4 JB model or what??

Im a huge fan of deftones so i was wonderíng if the SH-4 which stephen carpenter utilizes is a custom made version of the SH-4 JB model or if it's the same??

I play a style somewhere between emo-rock/core and metal and I am on the lookout for the best suitable yet versatile pup. I dig the contrast between serene clean passages and distorted ones kinda like artists such as deftones, the used, tool, aperfectcirle etc. What would be your pup of choice?
    It looks like a SH-4 for me, could it do the above mentioned trick??

Sorry if the questions seem to basic for you!!

Thanks for the help in advance

Re: SZ-320 and Pups!!

Welcome to the forum!

The JB is bar-none, the most versatile pickup there is. I consider it the "desert island" pickup.
    Steph Carpenter's JB is the same one you or I would get from Guitar Center or wherever. I believe he uses the TB-4 (tremelo spaced) JB, though. No difference in tone, the pole pieces are just a little further apart.

I am also going to recommend that you try out the Invader. Its not as versatile as the JB, but its definitely got some character. Its a hell of a lot of fun, too!
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and the speedy reply. I'll definitely look into the invader pup as well...but in the first place I guess i'll try the SH-4 Jb for my ibanez sz 320 and experience that one.

Comment

come to think of it can you elaborate on the difference between traditional or Trembucker spacing?

Comment

Originally posted by mikp
          come to think of it can you elaborate on the difference between traditional or Trembucker spacing?
          Yup. Standard (or traditional) has the pole pieces spaced so they will line up with a Les Paul's string spacing. Trembucker (or DiMarzio calls it F-Spacing) has the poles a little bit further apart, so they'll line up with a tremelo-equipped guitar. However, certain non-tremelo guitars line up better with trem-spaced pickups. My advice is: when in doubt, get the trem spaced. They line up pretty close on most guitars, plus if you want to use the pickup in a trem guitar at a later date, you're all set.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks JB. Cool advice keep rockin'

Comment

Working...
            X