Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ME!! all of my Vertical humbucker PUP still humming

everybody here please help me.....
    i have a fender 70's strat with 3 PUPS, they are : duncan Hotrails (bridge), dimarzio HS3 (middle) , and dimarzio chopper (neck)

the hotrails and the chopper is connected to push pull pot so i can switch them both single coil / humbucker mode. and i use the 500K for volume pot, 250K for 2 tone pots.

and i'm still confuse now, because my HS3 is humming like single coil mode EVEN i'd allready wiring it to humbucker mode (red+ bare to ground , black+white sealed with tape, and green to hot) . i replace wiring red with green because of preventing the "out of phase" mode if u use humbucker with single coil.

but........ my duncan hotrails and mu chopper is still work well. only my HS3 is trouble. and i've buying the new vertical humbucking PUPS, that is : EMG HZ S1 , and the problem is same !! still humming ..........

anybody here can give the Technical explanation to me why this happen?
    Last edited by gooswyn; 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM.
    ===THE MAPLE FRETBOARDER===

Re: HELP ME!! all of my Vertical humbucker PUP still humming

I don't know much about Dimarzio wiring, but have you tried mounting the middle pup, upside down as in north to south becomes south to north?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Put the HS's red back to ground, and it's green back to hot, then split the other coil on the chopper and hot rails. If memory serves correctly the hS has a shielding plates that connect to the red, the IBZ USA C2's did, it's been a long while since I pulled the covers off to look (and no, sorry I'm not tearing open one of mine to check). The EMGs I can't speak about one way or the other. Anyway, the above action *should*fix you up.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
        Put the HS's red back to ground, and it's green back to hot, then split the other coil on the chopper and hot rails. If memory serves correctly the hS has a shielding plates that connect to the red, the IBZ USA C2's did, it's been a long while since I pulled the covers off to look (and no, sorry I'm not tearing open one of mine to check). The EMGs I can't speak about one way or the other. Anyway, the above action *should*fix you up.

Yep, the HS's have that plate sandwiched in the middle.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          Yep, the HS's have that plate sandwiched in the middle.
          I couldn't get back to this in time, so to straighten out some confusion, the IBZ USA C2 (made for Ibanez by DMZ) has the same construction as the HS series, although the HS incorporates a separate drain/shield wire, on the C2 since they use the red for ground (phase issues) they just tie that to the baseplate/shielding plates (well it's actually one piece).
          The reason I mentioned it is that if the ground on the HS was run to hot it would cause problems as such. The HS shouldn't be humming, the only way it would do that is if either the baseplate was run to hot, and or the bottom coil was not connected (faulty connection).
          None need to be split of course, but if you want to, the following connection is the easiest to do using ground taps, the problem is that the HS must be split along with one of the others when on,otherwise you have a humbucking single (HS) with a split humbucking single (the split chopper or hot rail, in other words a single coil).
          For ground tapping/splitting ...
          HS connections ... Red hot, black & white together;this runs to a ground tap,and green to ground along with drain.
          Chopper connections ... black hot,red & green together; this runs to a ground tap, white to ground along with drain.
          Hot Rail connections ... White hot, black & green together; this runs to a ground tap, red to ground along with drain.
          This will split the proper coils in the proper phases, for hum cancelling when combined.
          The trick again is splitting the HS simultaneously along with either the Chopper or the Hot Rails ... for that take a trip to your local tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            I couldn't get back to this in time, so to straighten out some confusion, the IBZ USA C2 (made for Ibanez by DMZ) has the same construction as the HS series, although the HS incorporates a separate drain/shield wire, on the C2 since they use the red for ground (phase issues) they just tie that to the baseplate/shielding plates (well it's actually one piece).
            The reason I mentioned it is that if the ground on the HS was run to hot it would cause problems as such. The HS shouldn't be humming, the only way it would do that is if either the baseplate was run to hot, and or the bottom coil was not connected (faulty connection).
            None need to be split of course, but if you want to, the following connection is the easiest to do using ground taps, the problem is that the HS must be split along with one of the others when on,otherwise you have a humbucking single (HS) with a split humbucking single (the split chopper or hot rail, in other words a single coil).
            For ground tapping/splitting ...
            HS connections ... Red hot, black & white together;this runs to a ground tap,and green to ground along with drain.
            Chopper connections ... black hot,red & green together; this runs to a ground tap, white to ground along with drain.
            Hot Rail connections ... White hot, black & green together; this runs to a ground tap, red to ground along with drain.
            This will split the proper coils in the proper phases, for hum cancelling when combined.
            The trick again is splitting the HS simultaneously along with either the Chopper or the Hot Rails ... for that take a trip to your local tech.
            OK Mr. Kent...
            thanx for your respond, and i'll try to rewiring them tonight, and i'll posting the result here for the new rewiring

but :
            like mr. scott said that if i only i tried to mounting down the axis of the PUP (north to south) , is there any effect ?
            ===THE MAPLE FRETBOARDER===

Comment

Originally posted by gooswyn

but :
              like mr. scott said that if i only i tried to mounting down the axis of the PUP (north to south) , is there any effect ?
              I have no idea what that means, or what Scott is referring to here, one you can't really turn the pup upside down and mount it, physically it might fit, but it's impractical all the way around , and trying to rotate the pup has nothing to due with phase or humcancelling ... Again you need to ask Scott, because I have no idea what he is referring to here.

Comment

Working...
              X