banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size tip should I get for soldering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size tip should I get for soldering?

What size tip should I get for my iron?
    Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
    Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Re: What size tip should I get for soldering?

When doing work on your guitar for instance, you don't need much heat. Smaller is good. Just make sure the solder joint is real shinny when you get done.

Scott F had a good soldering iron incident a few years back.
    Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
    Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

When I went to radio shack today they had a 30 watt iron with a tip about that looked like about 1/8 of an inch. Is that the right size or do they make smaller ones?
      Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
      Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by El Dorado
        When I went to radio shack today they had a 30 watt iron with a tip about that looked like about 1/8 of an inch. Is that the right size or do they make smaller ones?
        That should be good.

Putting in pickups?
        Last edited by Sykes; 11-11-2004, 10:02 PM.
        Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
        Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

I'd go with the 40 watt iron with the pencil-like tip...it makes soldering to the back of a pot much easier, and you won't overheat the pot as long as you're careful and use some common sense.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I'm going to put in a custom and replace the pot and switch on my new OLP that I'm currently modding. I'll practice soldering on some old junk guitar electronics that I have first though.

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
              I'd go with the 40 watt iron with the pencil-like tip...it makes soldering to the back of a pot much easier, and you won't overheat the pot as long as you're careful and use some common sense.

Ryan

+1
              -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
              -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Working...
              X