Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work and for what? G&L INVADER

Hi guys,

Looking into a G&L Invader (Swamp Ash), Bird's eye Maple Fretboard.

N: Hot Rails
    M: L'il Screamin' Demon
    B: Invader

Will this be versatile enough for metal? (Rock too, I guess)

Bee
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Will this work and for what? G&L INVADER

You'd have a pretty sick sounding guitar.
    This space is for rent.

Comment

I have a G&L Invader and love it, and it's the one guitar I'm still experimenting with pickups on. It came with a trem JB/hotrails/hotrails. Mine is mahogany/maple veneer, with a birdseye maple neck/rosewood fretboard, Floyd. The hotrails neck is perfect, don't change that! I'm using an Am Std strat middle pickup, and am still figuring out the bridge pickup. The JB is too dense and midrangey for my taste in that particular guitar, so I'm probably going to use a C-5 trem, Custom, or Screamin Demon. On a swampash/maple G&L Invader, I wouldn't use a Duncan Invader.
      I'd probably try a trem CC first. The other two pickups you mentioned should be fine.
      They come with US Duncans, so you may not change anything. I'd probably swap the JB for a CC, tho.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I wouldn't go for the lil' Demon in the mid, it'll be overshadwowed by the HR and Invader, because they've got more output. Perhaps you could swap the Demon with the HR and have a Demon in the neck and HR in the mid position. I'm sure it'll sound killer!
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

How about adopting the Ibanez Jem-style approach and using the middle pidckup to colour the sound of the two other very powerful humbuckers. This can be done by *maybe* using a more traditional sounding single coil like a SD duckbucker or vintage SSL series in the middle position.

If you play a wide variety of styles this should give you a bit more tonal flexibility.

Also, the concensus on hot rails in the neck is kinda ho-hum on these forums. However, the Lil' 59 and Lil' screaming demon might just do the trick for thick neck sound yet with a vintage vibe.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

That sounds like an ideal G&L

-X
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

On my particular guitar, the hotrails neck gives a great fullsize humbucker tone.
              I only changed the middle hotrail out because it stopped working for some reason.
              When I popped an Am Std middle in there, I realized it created an even better 4th position sound. As for the bridge.....the G&L comes with either an ash or mahogany body. I think the C-5 sounds best in mahogany, and the CC is probably best in the ash body, to thicken up it's lower mids. The ONLY thing I hate about my G&L Invader is where they chose to put the 5 way switch. It's in between the volume and tone control, right underneath the tremolo bar. STUPID!!!! It causes my hand to have to sweep the bar outta the way, just to switch pickups. They shoulda put it where it is on a strat. Other than that, the G&L is the best Floyd guitar I've ever had.
              It's the closest thing you'll get to an Anderson or Suhr for half the cost.
              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-19-2004, 05:08 PM.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

hey i don't have a g&l but one of my robin's is swamp ash with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard and it has a hotrail in the neck and it gets a great fat humbucker lead tone ! and in the bridge i have a JB(tremspaced) and it has tons of bass and the mids fill in nice since swamp ash has a kinda sucked mid tone . out of all the guitars i have used a JB in this guitar has the most bass! that being said i love the JB anyway but it works great in my swamp ash robin!!!!!!!!!
                Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                Suhr OD-50
                Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Working...
                X