Can you magnet swap on a JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you magnet swap on a JB?

I hear people talk about swapping mags on the Custom series but I assume it could be done on a JB too?
    Where do we get these mags? Thanks. - Rob

You can swap the magnet on any pickup if you choose to do so. I used to have a link to a place with magnets, but I can't find it anymore.

Comment

www.ampge.com

Got my magnets there. Alnico 4s are tough to come by unfortunately.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

there are a few places out there that sell pup magnets. alnico 5 tends to be easy to find others are a little trickier, but i know there is some one out there that sells them. hopefully some one who knows will put up a link

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
          You can swap the magnet on any pickup if you choose to do so. I used to have a link to a place with magnets, but I can't find it anymore.
          any magnetic pickup you mean

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
            SURE a JB with a II sounds very close to a alan holdswoth model and many prefer it with a II.
            the II gives it a smoother less attacky tone but it still retians those amazing harmonics
            actually the JB with a II and a set of screw polpieces in place of the slug poles IS a AH-1 pup

Comment

My several year old Seymour Duncan catalogue says that the JB and AH both use Alnico 5 bar magnets. Has this spec changed? Thanks. - Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rmcfee
                My several year old Seymour Duncan catalogue says that the JB and AH both use Alnico 5 bar magnets. Has this spec changed? Thanks. - Rob
                no that must be a typo in the catalog though?

Comment

I'm considering the exact same thing- putting an Alnico 2 in my JB. I know that www.ampge.com has the magnets, but does anyone have any instructions for how to go about switching the magnets? Someone once said it's "not hard", but the one site I found that gave instructions were for Les Paul pickups and while it looked somewhat involved they had steps for rewaxing and that sort of thing that I imagine I wouldn't have to go through. Are there any instructions specific to SD pickups?

Thanks!
                  Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
                  Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
                  Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
                  http://emayhem.com/the_fords
                  (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

Working...
                  X