Genny update: new p'up, new wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genny update: new p'up, new wiring.

Update #2: Ignore the "update" below. Now that I've played with this for a few months . . . I love it!
    Its perfect just the way it is. If you have an HSS guitar, you should try this wiring scheme. (Even if you don't have "tapped" pups.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Note: This update deleted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I replaced the volume and tone pots with push/pulls, and swapped out the Stag Mag in the bridge of my Peavey Generation, with the vintage JB that I found. (Sorry Stag Mag. I'll find a happy home for you yet.) Nothing against the SM, but the improvement was profound. The old JB has a richness, and character that the SM just didn't do. (This JB is somewhere between 15 and 20 years old.) Part of the improvement is related to a couple of unusual wiring things that I did.

I used the volume p/p to "tap" the QP's, (Quarter Pounds), and the tone p/p to connect the Qp's in series. Like this:

One thing I did, was to swap the neck and middle "hot" leads on the 5-way. This has several interesting benefits. Generally, a 3-pup Tele, with a 5-way, will be wired like a Strat. Which means, of course, you can never have the "conventional" setting of neck & bridge. By swapping the neck & middle wires, the last three positions of the 5-way act like a conventional 3-way:

3. Neck
    4. Neck & Bridge
    5. Bridge

Also, if I place the 5-way straight up, (position #3), I have the neck by itself. One click back gives me the neck & bridge, one click forward gives me the neck & middle. And I can always go to position #1, if I want the middle by itself. (Which I rarely do.) This sounds more complicated than it really is. It actually works great, and all my 5-way-equipped axe's will be wired this way in the future.

The next benefit of this, is when I pull the tone knob, to get "series" operation of the QP's. Again, I just use the back 3 positions of the 5-way, to select:

3. Neck & middle (acting in series)
    4. Neck & middle (series) with bridge
    5. Bridge

Again, just like a 3-way, with the QP's acting in unison like a big humbucker. In this mode, position #2 mimicks #3, and position #1 becomes a kill switch.

And of course, all these different combinations can be had with the QP's tapped, or full on. The difference in tone between all the different positions is profound. I can't believe how much the character of the QP's changes when tapped. They immediately take on a glassy, yet still rich sound, thats unique from their full-on tone.

The second unusual thing I did was to wire the volume pot as a "variable load", rather than a volume control per se. Since I run into a J-Station and a mixing board, I just don't need a volume control. The addition of the 100k resistor prevents me from taking the load to zero. By turning the "volume" pot, I effectively change the pot load smoothly from 600k to 100k. To anyone who's ever heard the difference that changing a 250k pot to 500k makes, or vice-versa, I can glide from one pot to the other - plus and minus a bit more.

Its like subtle tone control, or a "character" control.

Anyway . . . the palette of sounds that I can get from this thing now, is amazing. And the icing on the cake is - they're all good. Sorry to be so long-winded. I'll close by re-iterating that the JB is very cool.

(Pics tomorrow.)

Artie
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-09-2005, 05:11 PM. Reason: Update

Re: Genny update: new p'up, new wiring.

:o

PS: Have you gotten around to doing a wiring schematic para mi yet?
    I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
    -Britney Spears

Comment

I'm going to catch up on everything this weekend.

Artie

Comment

Artie, you're a madman. Wish I could keep all that sh!t straight in my head, the way you do. Congrats & enjoy!!!

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Now that I've gotten to play with this for awhile, I can see where a couple things need to be tweaked. There's one setting of my "load" control thats best for the JB, and one other thats best for everything else. So there's no need for a continuously variable control. I can replace that with a switched resistor. (And thus, bring back the volume control.)

Also, the QP's, when full on and in series, has a much greater output voltage than any other combo. So much so that it overloads the input to both my J-Station and my FX-500. I imagine that that could be a cool affect if driving a tube amp, but not so much so using modellers.

So, what I think I'll do is switch in a resistor when that mode is selected, but wire it onto a small circuit board with jumpers, like the little jumpers on a computer motherboard, so that I can easily remove it if I ever drive an amp.

Tweaking is fun.

Comment

Nice.

I like the series/parallel and tapping options that you added for the neck and middle. I may have to give this schematic a try when I rewire my Charvel.

Comment

Cool!

But if you do, you may want consider this slight variation instead:

The red line shows the mod that I eluded to in this thread.

Also, you'ld probably want to wire up a conventional volume control, as shown above. The "variable load" control isn't proving to be as useful as I thought it might be. (Which might be why no one does it.)

Edit: btw - this has the potential to be even more killer in an HSS Strat, because the the 2nd tone control could be used as a push/pull to split/parallel the JB.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-13-2004, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X