Hmmm,what pup to put in an LP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm,what pup to put in an LP???

Ok, heres what I got going on. I have another LP Studio coming along the way in a few days, and I am obviously changing out the stock pups to some Duncan's. I'm thinking of either a DD or a JB. However, in one LP Studio I have a DD with 10-46's and tuned in standard "E" tuning, my back up is an Epi LP Standard with a JB in it...they both sound VERY similar(which I like and want). My dilemma is this, my "new" LP Studio is going to have 11-52's on it and tuned to "Eb" tuning. I want this guitar to sound as similar as possible to the others(so I don't have change any settings on my Marshall TSL60), but one thing I don't want is increased bottom or top end. I have a Custom kicking around, but am thinking this would do exactly what I don't want it to do. Which pup would you recommend???

Cheers Primo.
    GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Re: Hmmm,what pup to put in an LP???

Just a question, do you think the two guitars sound the same because the tone is being very coloured by your gear whether it's the amp or any boxes the signal is going through? The differences between the guitars might be greatly minimized, making the choice in pickup more related to feel than to sound...

Comment

I can only say that as a longtime Duncan and Les Paul fan, the C-5 and CC are my faves. Same output, but the C-5 has tighter bass, neutral mids, and vintage highs, while the CC has dense low mids, nice growl, and buttery smooth highs.
      Try the Custom first, and then use the CC if you want it darker, and the C-5 if you want ultimate clarity.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
        Just a question, do you think the two guitars sound the same because the tone is being very coloured by your gear whether it's the amp or any boxes the signal is going through? The differences between the guitars might be greatly minimized, making the choice in pickup more related to feel than to sound...

No, I don't think so. I 've tried many different pups in my LP Studio, because I wanted a similar sound to my Epi LP w/ the JB(I really like the tone!), yeah I'm definately listening for the sound rather than the feel(don't really understand that comment). I want all three guitars to sound as close as possible, so I don't have to have different amp settings.

Cheers Primo.
        GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

Stick with the Distortion. I don't think the string guage is going to force you into a new pickup. Sure, its going to sound a little different, but I don't think you'll get any closer with a new pup.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
          X