JB vs. Distortion [direct comparison]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB vs. Distortion [direct comparison]

No wonder I'm torn between these two pickups. I love the JB and Distortion equally

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
      Very similar, and in fact it has been found out that a JB and a Distortion use th4e same coils...they just have differet magnets.
      I heard this as well but is there any truth in it? i never owned a distortion but own the JB

Comment

Originally posted by Travis

But here's a thought, do all the guitar makers that supply the JB as a stock pickup (Jackson, Hamer, ESP, etc.) use 500k or 250k pots, then?
        all the ones you mentioned and my old USA kramers have 500K pots

Comment

Between the JB and Distortion, which has the fatter and fuller single note tone. I would guess the Distortion but sometimes more compression thins a pup out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyking
            Between the JB and Distortion, which has the fatter and fuller single note tone. I would guess the Distortion but sometimes more compression thins a pup out.
            I would like to know this too
            I have heard that a ceramic pup has more treble also?

Comment

Ok, I have A LOT of trouble believing the JB & Invader are the same pickup with different magnets & pole pieces. I put the oxide caps from a Detonator on a DiMarzio Evolution, and it changed the sound a bit, but it sure as hell didn't make the difference between a JB & Invader (not even close!!)
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

An Invader has 3 large ceramic magnets...I do know that a JB and a Distortion use the same coils...I don't know anything about the invader, except for the 3 large magnets...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by SABOTAGE
                  all the ones you mentioned and my old USA kramers have 500K pots
                  Not necessarily true, ALL of my USA Jacksons had 250k from the factory and were changed by yours truly to 500k

Re: JB_/Dist/Inv same coils:
                  Originally posted by ranalli
                  Wouldn't that just be an Invader then from her description above since the only difference is the polepieces and magnets???
                  In theory, Yes.

One thing to remember (which wasnīt mentioned in the chat): Tme Magnet in a Distortion is also oversized compared to a JB or Custom series magnet. This accounts for the tonal difference between a DD and a "ceramic JB"

The invader of couse has 3 magnets and the Hex poles, which accounts for that diference as well.

BTW: an Invader with 2 rows of standard adjustable poles sounds very, VERY close to a Dirty Fingers, if thatīs the tone someone is looking for
                  Last edited by Zerberus; 11-17-2004, 02:30 PM.
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Not necessarily true, ALL of my USA Jacksons had 250k from the factory and were changed by yours truly to 500k

Re: JB_/Dist/Inv same coils:

In theory, Yes.

One thing to remember (which wasnīt mentioned in the chat): Tme Magnet in a Distortion is also oversized compared to a JB or Custom series magnet. This accounts for the tonal difference between a DD and a "ceramic JB"

The invader of couse has 3 magnets and the Hex poles, which accounts for that diference as well.

BTW: an Invader with 2 rows of standard adjustable poles sounds very, VERY close to a Dirty Fingers, if thatīs the tone someone is looking for
                    thank you for clearing that up with me...I knew I was not crazy...I have changed several Jacksons and Kramers as well as others to 500k pots because they came with 250k or 300k! Alsoyou are very right about the distortion magnets...they are larger that the magnets in a JB...they are tha same sive as the ones in an Invader...but an Invader has 3 of them!!!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I just took my distortion out of my esp and put the JB back in. I think the JB is my favorite by far, I keep going back to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X