X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion1
    replied
    Re: Gibson Humbucker ID

I know the saying is let the buyer beware. I actually bought these last year and the seller wasn't very helpful when I was suspicious these might not be what he advertised. I will try them installed and let my ear be the judge. To be honest I never liked the 490 series anyways, I just got a real good deal on these as a pair.

Leave a comment:

• TattooedCarrot
    replied

I thought 498T was closer to 14K ??

It's not a Dirty Fingers, I have a couple original Dirty Fingers and they have double rows of screws, no poles. I suppose it's possible that's an older 498T, I don't know why else the sticker would be there (although I never knew Gibson used such stickers).

Here's some pics of my Dirty Fingers for comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Low_fidelity2100
    replied

490R - 7.47k (I know this is a 490R as it was the stock neck pickup in my SG)
    490T - 9.07k
    498T - 9.62k

Yeah those readings don't sound right to me. But I could be wrong. I seem to remember my 498t measureing somewhere around 12.3k. But can't be possitive. The 490t seems a little hotter than I remember. But I could be wrong.

As far as the pole peices being magnetic. Sometimes when ferrous metals are exposed to a magnetic field over a long period of time they them selves become magnetic. And other times two ferrous (non magnetic) metals constantly touching and separateing will turn them magnetic. (For proof of this bang two iron nails together a bunch a times and they will magnitize eachother)

As far as them just "looking" like the gibson pickups you have. I've seen many a pickup from really ****ty manufactures that are pretty much indistinguisable from an actul gibson bucker. I have a pickup out of an Old peavy predator that is identical to an uncovered 57' classic. same bobbins same slugs, same magnets, even got the maple spacer, and same dc resistance. So just cause it looks like something doesn't mean it is ya know.
    But truthfully how do they sound? If they sound rock ass, then who cares who made em? If they sound lame, doesn't make any difference weather they're legit or bogus they're gonna sound like crap either way. Ya know.
    And as far as the baseplate looking legit. Its really easy to take the baseplate of a lame pickup and put it on a good one (and vice versa). Cause that way you've got a good pick with a bogus base plate, but ya also got a bogus pickup with a good base plate. Creating the appearance of greatness isn't that hard.
    I say just let yer ears be the judge though. If they sound good, don't worry weather they're legit or not. But if the sound bad demand a refund. Cause I could be wrong but I kinda get the feeling you got ripped. Just from what little you've said sounds to me like the guy that sold em to you is either A) very uninformed himself or B) Attempting to ripp you off.
    But I have been known to be wrong from time to time. And I'm also quite parinoid. *looks over shoulder* Ed

Leave a comment:

• Fusion1
    replied

Well now assuming the stickers are the correct label for these pickups would the readings for the following be absurd:

490R - 7.47k (I know this is a 490R as it was the stock neck pickup in my SG)
    490T - 9.07k
    498T - 9.62k
    Last edited by Fusion1; 11-18-2004, 12:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion1
    replied

Just checked it's definately alnico. One other strange tidbit. I pulled out a few slug pole pieces a while ago on the matching pickup and the pole pieces it self are magnetic. I don't recall any Duncans having pole pieces that were actually magnetic, other than single coils where they are the actual magnets. Well this pickup has the alnico bar magnet, and it seems the 6 slugs are also magnets. PAT# is same (PAT # 2,737,842) as my 1986 490R from my SG. Ok now I remember the deal the guy told me the pickup labled 498 T was a 500T and the one labelled 490 T was a 490. The reading I get from this one is 9.07k. They are probably Gibson pickups as the spacer; the keeper bar; slugs and screws; even down to the semi glossy semi matte tape surrounding each bobbin all look like my 490R. I think the guy probably added the 2 holes per side mounting tab, for what reason I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Low_fidelity2100
    replied

What kind of magnet does it have? And from the way you described it you are checking the resitance correctly. The higher reading is full bucker, and the lower reading is Only one coil. (some manufactures use 3 conductor which allows for coil splitting, but not any other alternative wireings. I.e. no phase, or Parrelle, etc..). That reading your getting from it is actully lower than a 498T I have. So I don't think its a 498t. Its deffinately not a 500t (dcres. way too low). And judgeing from the fact that it doesn't have Double screw bobbins (like every dirty fingers I've seen) I don't think its a dirty fingers. But I could be wrong. Check the magnet and see weather its alnico (shiny metal looking) or ceramic (black not so shiny, looks kinda like a fridge magnet).
    If all else fails try to look up the pat. # on the back and see what it says thats a pat. for.
    I'm kinda getting the feeling you got ripped off. Ed

Leave a comment:

• Fusion1
    started a topic Gibson Humbucker ID

Gibson Humbucker ID

I saw a thread on this and now I cant find it, maybe it was on Harmony Central...

Anywho I have what I was told was a 500T and a 496R but they look nothing like the ones I currently have (Different baseplate, different wiring, differet mounting tabs) and the guy I bought them from stated they were older versions. I am guessing this guy mistakenly thought the Dirty Fingers was a 500T. Thats the only hot Gibson humbucker that I know that has 2 mounting holes on one side and 1 on the other. The baseplate has the PAT.# stamped instead of Gibson USA which I am familiar with. Also the wire is a 3 conductor Belden wire (My other Gibson has a grey Belden wire too, but not 3 conductor like this).

I am guessing these are older Gibson pickups but how would I know what exactly they are? I have a stock 490r I just measured at 7.47k. The pickup pictured is strange in that I can't get a full reading on it (with the assumption it is a 500T or Dirty Fingers). Not sure what the proper way of measuring a 3 conductor pickup. I clip the black lead on the bare ground wire and the red lead on the black wire and I get 9.62k. Then I take the red lead and clip it to the red wire and I get 4.81k. I am still assuming this is a higher output pickup but the reading of 9.62 would make me think maybe it is a 498T which the added sticker says???

Working...
X