Strat Pickup Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup Advice

I've had some Fender CS Fat 50s pickups in my 1993 MIM Strat for a few years now, and they're not exactly what I'm looking for...a little too "glassy" for my liking.

The sound I want is warm and fat, but not muddy, while retaining a nice amount of "bite." They would also need to respond nicely with overdrive pedals and possibly a compressor. What are some pickups that would produce that general tone? Here are the ones that I'm looking at now:

-SD Antiquity Texas Hot
    -Fender CS Custom '69 Strat
    -SD Alnico II Pro Flat
    -SD Quarter Pound Flat
    -SD Hot

Thanks in advance!
    Phillip
    Last edited by axiseffects; 11-17-2004, 06:06 PM.
    Axis Guitar Effects
    Fuzz Central DIY Guitar Effects

Re: Strat Pickup Advice

If you're willing to shell out the cash, the Texas Hots with the Custom bridge is a great combo and can do what you want. If you wanna save some cash, but get a simular tone, go with the APS-1's in the neck and middle with a Twangbanger in the bridge.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

How about Di Marzio VV BLUES neck middle and VV SOLO bridge...........ive been thinkining about these for my strat for a fat sound...... maybe some others can give a review. Im looking for a that fatter latter day Hendrix sound.

Comment

Phillip,
        first of all, welcome

I think Beandip nailed it ....

if the Fat 50s are too glassy, and you're looking for fat and warm, then you'd probably like the Alnico 2 pickups

I like alnico 2 pro flats with a Hot bridge, but several folks here like the twangbanger bridge as well

the antiquities are an ultimate kind of strat pickup, when you're looking for that

there's a wealth of info in the "vintage strat pickup" review thread in the Vault section
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          Phillip,
          first of all, welcome

I think Beandip nailed it ....

if the Fat 50s are too glassy, and you're looking for fat and warm, then you'd probably like the Alnico 2 pickups

I like alnico 2 pro flats with a Hot bridge, but several folks here like the twangbanger bridge as well

the antiquities are an ultimate kind of strat pickup, when you're looking for that

there's a wealth of info in the "vintage strat pickup" review thread in the Vault section
          Curly, the Alnico Pro II in the neck and middle and the Hot in the bridge sounds exactly what I'm looking for. My Strat also has an alder body, but the fingerboard on mine is maple, which should offer a slightly brighter attack. Are you still using 250K control pots and 0.047uF tone capacitors in your Lake Placid Blue Strat?

Phillip
          Axis Guitar Effects
          Fuzz Central DIY Guitar Effects

Comment

OK this one is too easy u have just explained the kinman blues set they work perfect with overdrive there warm and they sound awesome
            Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
            The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Originally posted by axiseffects
              Curly, the Alnico Pro II in the neck and middle and the Hot in the bridge sounds exactly what I'm looking for. My Strat also has an alder body, but the fingerboard on mine is maple, which should offer a slightly brighter attack. Are you still using 250K control pots and 0.047uF tone capacitors in your Lake Placid Blue Strat?

Phillip
              Phillip,

my LPB strat is stock wiring: 250k pots, .022 cap (Orange Drop). I also have a jumper on the mid tone pot to the bridge pickup, so I can roll off a little high end on the bridge.
              that strat gets my favorite tone ... not exactly a vintage strat tone - it's fatter and warmer, less glassy - but it's still very much a strat, and gives me a great, usable bridge and bridge/ mid tone.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SINGTONE
                How about Di Marzio VV BLUES neck middle and VV SOLO bridge...........ive been thinkining about these for my strat for a fat sound...... maybe some others can give a review. Im looking for a that fatter latter day Hendrix sound.
                Band of gypsys!!!!!!!!! YEAH!

I think that you'd really need a single coil that stuff, and that the VV blues would be almost too thick, but then again.........

BAND OF GYPSYS is so damn sweet son!
                Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
                JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
                Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
                Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
                Dunlop Classic Crybaby
                Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

I had a set of DiMarzio Virtual Vintages with the Solo on the bridge and I was really disappointed. I was sort of hoping for a noiseless Quarter Pound sort of tone but it was quite sharp and jagged sounding. Nothing even close to P-90 tone IMO. I take an HS-3 way before I'd take that VV Solo again.

$0.02.
                  Life Is Good When You Love Your Tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X