banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good value cap for les paul pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good value cap for les paul pots?

I have a couple of really old .022s that i foundi n a old set of speakers? ??

Re: Whats a good value cap for les paul pots?

That's the value I have in my Lester's neck slot. I have a .047 at the bridge.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

.022s work for me, in both positions.

Comment

yup .022 sounds fine for both

Comment

.015 if you want a smidge less bass, but want to retain that smooth, rolled-off sound. Any lower and you start to get some actual twang even with the tone all the way down.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by SheDoesntDoIt4Me
            I have a couple of really old .022s that i foundi n a old set of speakers? ??
            Those values are ok. You may like that value with some pups, maybe not as much with others, particularly with neck pups. I like .015 in the neck with certain pups. It's a matter of degrees...personal preference.

Something to bear in mind is that more often than not, old caps will have drifted from their original value. I have removed many bumblebees, black cats and so on from old radios, etc. I have a bunch of 'em. All of them have drifted so far that they are of no use in a guitar. I wouldn't buy into any hype (not suggesting you are) that the old caps have some special magic that will make your guitar sound better. A set of new Orange Drops will do just fine, and they're cheap. Hovlands are very nice as well, but more $$. If you have (or can find) a multimeter that measures capacitance, you can check the old ones before you decide to try them. Whatever caps you use should be rated at a minimum of 400 VDC. 600 VDC is fine, but the larger the VDC rating, the larger the cap size.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X