Your thoughts on my pickup thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on my pickup thoughts?

My Ibanez should be here today: S470DX with floyd rose (H-S-H). Thin mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood board.

A couple of weeks back I asked for some basic suggestions and got alot of different opinions on pickup selection for it. Thank you, btw

My style utilizes pretty high gain...think 80's metal era Gary Moore, Tesla's Great Radio Contoversey, Jake E. Lee w/ Ozz/Badlands: basically hotrodded/ pedal-boosted classic marshall sounds. 90% of my playing will be with high gain.

So for chunky low end to help out the Floyd, I'm thinking SH-5 custom in the bridge. Doesn't clean up as well, but I'll likely be playing clean with the single coil and/or neck pickup. I also thought JB as I loved it in my strat, but thought it might be a bit to brittle/bright with a Floyd and the thin body, and the other customs may have too much upper mids and not enough bottom end. I'm very familiar with the SH-5 pickup in Gibson style instruments, but not bolt-on strats types.

For the middle pickup (single coil) I was thinking a vintage or Alnico II type pickup. I'm still at a loss here. The DiMarzio tech (I was looking at DiMarzios too, but I prefer Duncans) told me because of the way the Ibanez pickup switching is done, that hum cancelling single coils are not a good option for strat-like "quack" in the #2/#4 position...sound like good advice? He suggested a vintage single coil style. I know almost nothing about the wiring/electronics of guitars, I just know what sound I want, and what sounds good to my ears and then I buy it

For the neck pickup. I wanted something thats tighter than a PAF/59 style. Something with more definition from string to string under extreme gain, but would still sound decent clean and not lack low end. Looks like the Full Shred may be the way for me to go here(?) I'll be working alot on my technique in the coming months with the flashy shredder/speed stuff like sweep picking, etc. that I never had the patience to learn years ago (tired of being a "slow hand"). So that kinda "clean" malmsteen/paul gilbert high gain neck pickup sound is what I'm looking for.

Comments? I apologize for the length of my post, but these days I don't have the disposeable income I did when I was younger to be buying new pickups or guitars when something doesn't suit my fancy, so I'm really trying to buy as wisely as possible from the get-go.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Your thoughts on my pickup thoughts?

I would suggest a CUSTOM 5 in the Bridge, a COOL RAILS(hum-cancelling) or TWANGBANGER(vintage style, but with enough output & tone to balance with the humbuckers) in the Middle and a JAZZ or APII in the Neck
    Last edited by BachToRock; 11-18-2004, 01:51 PM.
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

IIRC, but I'm probably wrong, the Custom was designed in mind to suit alder bodied guitars as JB's were to shrill for them...

Someone able to confirm this for me?
      Originally posted by Kanye West
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I recently installed a set of Duncan's in a newer S series guitar (ZR Trem) for a customer. I put a APHn,APS flat in the mid, and Screaming Demon in the bridge. This makes a great set, as this guy plays much the same styles as you'll be playing. The only different thing I would do is a CC in the bridge ( I really like mids ), and a Pearly Gates for the neck, since it has a bit more growl and high end than the APH, giving you more clarity under gain.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
          IIRC, but I'm probably wrong, the Custom was designed in mind to suit alder bodied guitars as JB's were to shrill for them...

Someone able to confirm this for me?
          I've never heard that...in fact the VERY FIRST JB went into a Swamp Ash body...with a maple neck and fingerboard...

The Custom was designed for Eddie VanHalen...it is basically a Seth lover...slightly overwound, with a small ceramic magnet, Ed did not want to sign the deal with Duncan...so it became the SH-5 Custom!

On to the question...I had an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose and a Duncan Distortion...not too thin at all...AND it cleaned up quite well...I would say either the Distortion or the Custom in the bridge, a Cool Rail in the middle, and an Alnico II pro in the neck...use 500k pots! If you wanted something different that that setup...go JB in the Bridge, cool rail in the middle and a Jazz in the neck...use 250k pot if you do this one...the 250k pots will be better suited to these pups! One more good one would be a Custom 5 in the bridge, a cool rail in the middle, and a 59 in the neck...use 500k pots with one as well...as a side note you could swap either a duckbucker or a vintage rail for the coolrail, if you wanted a more single coil tone...cool rails do NOT sound like single coils, duckbuckers and vintage rails DO! I hope this helped...good luck

The guy who invented fire
          Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 11-18-2004, 08:44 PM.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented

The Custom was designed for Eddie VanHalen...it is basically a Seth lover...slightly overwound, with a small ceramic magnet, Ed did not want to sign the deal with Duncan...so it became the SH-5 Custom!

The guy who invented fire
            I must correct this mis-information again so we don't have members thinking it is so...

The CUSTOM is NOT like an overwound SETH... they are wound with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT wire types... and it was not designed for Eddie Van Halen... where are you fabricating this information?
            GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Personally, for thin bodies, whether they be mahogany, ash, alder, poplar, basswood, or whatever, and a big metal double-locking tremolo, and those thin necks, I like the DiMarzio Breed set for the neck and bridge. They're made to be voiced to have a tone similar to a Les Paul in those types of guitars. The Breeds were actually designed for Steve Vai for on of his Jems. He wanted it to have a tone similar to a Les Paul Standard.

YYMV....
              Last edited by BS123; 11-19-2004, 08:58 AM. Reason: spllng...
              -Butch Snyder
              butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

BS123, how does the Breed "Neck" model sound, I hear it sounds like an "aggressive" PAF Pro???
                Last edited by guitarshredder; 11-19-2004, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
                  I must correct this mis-information again so we don't have members thinking it is so...

The CUSTOM is NOT like an overwound SETH... they are wound with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT wire types... and it was not designed for Eddie Van Halen... where are you fabricating this information?

If this information is untrue, I am sorry...this was told to me by Alex at Seymour Duncan...
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                    If this information is untrue, I am sorry...this was told to me by Alex at Seymour Duncan...
                    Are you serious??

Itīs something I also highly doubt, as EVH AFAIK never used high output pickups OR ceramic magnets.

Add on to that that thatīs a LOT closer to the story behind the custom Shop "EVH Wind" (officially known as the ī78), and something seems funny.....

I already sent Evan a PM about this thread, maybe he can clear this up. My guess is that Alex somehow got Custom, CustomCustom, and ī78 mixed up
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Are you serious??

Itīs something I also highly doubt, as EVH AFAIK never used high output pickups OR ceramic magnets.

Add on to that that thatīs a LOT closer to the story behind the custom Shop "EVH Wind" (officially known as the ī78), and something seems funny.....

I already sent Evan a PM about this thread, maybe he can clear this up. My guess is that Alex somehow got Custom, CustomCustom, and ī78 mixed up

I am very serious...I had called Duncan one time with a few questions, I mentioned that I do not like ceramic magnet pickups, then Alex told me this story about a "pickup I really should try...", he told me about Seymour desighning a pup for eddie...which was not the EVH or 78, and in his own words...We took a Seth, added a few hundred windings, and changed the Alnico II to a very small ceramic, and Eddie loved it but would not sign the deal...so we called it the Custom...if it's a lie Alex told it, and I'm sorry if I mis-lead anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Are you serious??

A guitar seller here told me a similar thing. He told me that Eddie used the Custom once, but I didn't search if it's true.

That would be cool, to clear the things up.

Although, the voicing of the Custom sounds pretty close to the one of the Seth Lover, to me. I mean the voicing (or the...character? that's "behind" the distortion), not the type of distortion or the EQ. I don't know.
                        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Well, Mr. Van Halen is not a Seymour Duncan artist, so I'm not going to comment on his pickups... But, look at the d.c. resistance of the Custom and compare that with the Seth. Keep in mind that magnet type doesn't affect d.c.r. -- it's soley a result of the gauge of wire and the number of turns.

Now, after you've compared the two, you'll see that the coils are completely different. Emphasis on the word "completely."

Not to mention that one is wound with plain enamel and one is wound with poly.

And one is wound on the Leesona and the other on one of the CNC winders.

And one uses butyrate plastic bobbins and the other uses polycarbonate.

And one is not wax potted and the other is.

And one has a traditional long legged bottom plate and other has a short legged modern one.

And one has single conductor cable and the other has four conductor.

And then there's that matter of the magnets...
                          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                            Well, Mr. Van Halen is not a Seymour Duncan artist, so I'm not going to comment on his pickups... But, look at the d.c. resistance of the Custom and compare that with the Seth. Keep in mind that magnet type doesn't affect d.c.r. -- it's soley a result of the gauge of wire and the number of turns.

Now, after you've compared the two, you'll see that the coils are completely different. Emphasis on the word "completely."

Not to mention that one is wound with plain enamel and one is wound with poly.

And one is wound on the Leesona and the other on one of the CNC winders.

And one uses butyrate plastic bobbins and the other uses polycarbonate.

And one is not wax potted and the other is.

And one has a traditional long legged bottom plate and other has a short legged modern one.

And one has single conductor cable and the other has four conductor.

And then there's that matter of the magnets...
                            Thanks Evan for clearing that up...I have played Seth's before but never a Custom...so most of these differences were unknown to me...now I know...and knowing is half the battle!

Comment

Working...
                            X