banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Strat + Li'll 59 + hot rails + ? Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Strat + Li'll 59 + hot rails + ? Advice please.

Thinking about doing a PUP swap on my stock US Strat (1998 vintage). In my junk pile from other projects I already have a Little 59 bridge and Hot Rails middle/neck.

Should I get another Hot Rails and use in both the middle and neck, or maybe a Duckbucker in the middle? Or something else entirely? I like the SRV sound for the neck and I know the Little 59 will be good in the bridge.

So many choices....

Thx for any advice. I definitely want humbuckers in all 3 positions. Hum drives me nuts. The guitar already has copper shielding and single point grounding.

Finally, all 3 humbuckers would be wired "in phase" right? I will use standard 5 way switching scheme (B, B+M, M, M+N, N) and normal tone controls. No intention to split the humbuckers and have single coil switching modes.

Re: USA Strat + Li'll 59 + hot rails + ? Advice please.

welcome to the forum!!
    is phase is correct.

the lil 59 is a great pup but may not have the output to keep up with the hot rails unless you keep the hr low.
    if you like srv type tone from the neck, i might go duck/hr/lil 59. youll have a versitle setup with nice clean chimey neck, hot thick middle and a punchy bridge tone.
    what tones are you looking for from this guitar?

Comment

I also was wondering if the Hot Rail will overpower the Little '59. The Seymour Duncan description for the Little '59 suggests to use Duckbuckers in the neck and middle. Myabe that's the way to go. Also, I don't really like the look of the Hot Rails and prefer a look with 6 pole pieces rather than a rail.

So, Little '59 / Duckbucker / Duckbucker is a possibility.

Just wondering now if it makes sense to replace one of the Duckbuckers to get a wider range of sounds. Maybe with a George Lynch Li'l Screamin' Demon? I haven't heard one in real life though. Basically I'm looking for a combination that will have the classic Strat quack in the neck position, nice punchy sound in the bridge and open to suggestions to complete the package.

Comment

Did a lot more reading and Vintage Rails have the benefit over the Duckbucker of a wider sweet spot when bending.

Current thinking - Little '59 bridge, _____ middle, Vintage Rails neck.

Anyone has this combo and what did you use in the middle position? Could use another Vintage Rail there. Pretty much decided not to use the Hot Rails.

Comment

5/2 in the middle? add a bit of twang should you need it..

Comment

Working...
          X