Help me decide what pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide what pickups

I'm getting a Hamer Special FM in the next couple of weeks. It will be coming without the pickups. I'm open to suggestions as to what kind to put in there. I was thinking about having a little more variety in my arsenal. I've got plenty of shredders stocked with Distortions and other hotter pickups. So I'm thinking about something a little more bluesy. Perhaps something that can be driven for some good crunch, but not too hot.

I also was going to swap out the pickups in my Hamer Artist Korina. I would like to get some good blues tones out of that one. Perhaps smooth blues for the Artist and blues/rock for the Special FM. I was originally thinking about a Custom-Custom/APH-1 set for the Artist, but maybe that would be better for the Special (keeping that one in the blues/rock vein).

Oh, I was thinking about zebra for both, so maybe no suggestions for Seths or Antiquities (unless I can get those without the covers).

Thanks
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: Help me decide what pickups

No one?
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

you can get Seth's w/o covers and maybe Ant's too...it's just a special order...The APH neck with the CC bridge sounds cool...but I'm about to put the same thing in a guitar that I have, so I'm a little biased! Also look into 59's, as well as the Custom 5/59 set-up...that said you said you were looking to get away from hotter pickups...the Custom 5 as well as the CC are hot pickups, if you want to go vintage try a 59 set of maybe a set of seths...or maybe ven a set of APH pups. Any of these would be fine, and if you DO want a hotter bridge try the CC the Custom 5, maybe even a Custom...the Pearly gates are vintage with a kick as well...I'm also about to try a set of them as well...good luck

The guy who invented fire
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Well, I've got a 59 set in my Artist Korina and I'm still up in the air about those. The eq curve of the Custom-Custom seems the most pleasing to my ears. Hopefully it would be to my ears as well.

What guitar are you putting the CC/APH-1 set into and when are you planning to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
          Well, I've got a 59 set in my Artist Korina and I'm still up in the air about those. The eq curve of the Custom-Custom seems the most pleasing to my ears. Hopefully it would be to my ears as well.

What guitar are you putting the CC/APH-1 set into and when are you planning to do it?
          travis,

I have an early 80's Yamaha SG2000, it is a maple/mahogany neck through body with an ebony fretboard, mahogany whing, and a maple top with a stop bar and tune-o-matic...this guitar is a tad on the bright side now...but not ofr long, the pickups will be going in there, and I will be putting them in hopefully soon...I still have to get the pickups( i bought then from a forum brother...an he is still waiting on me!), as well as a few pots, knobs, and pickup rings...I would say some time within the next few weeks. Lew has a CC/Seth in a Hamer he owns, and he loves it...that would be close to the CC/APH-1 set we are talking about...and in fact, I got the idea from Lew to use the CC/Seth...I just ended up finding an APH-1 before I found a Seth...plus I didn't want a covered pickup...the AHP-1 seemed like the next best thing to a Seth!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yeah, I talked to Lew about his Hamer. And I didn't want a covered pickup, either. That's what led me to the CC/APH-1 combo. It sounds like it would satisfy my needs. Thanks

Comment

Bluesy rock then a Pearly Gates set;59 set;APH-I or a combo of 59 with a Custom 5 bridge
              Last edited by Fusion1; 11-20-2004, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X