So Many Choices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Many Choices...

I'm going to change my pickups after buying a new amp, so last night I was listening to all the strat/humbucker clips (i have a standard fat strat) and took note of which ones I liked. I play blues, rock, jazz, and funk, so I want a pretty versatile guitar. It came down to

Humbuckers (for bridge)- seth lover, alnico pro, stag mag, pearly gates

Singles (for neck/mid)- vintage staggered, custom staggered, alnico pro, classic stack, duckbucker, and vintage rails

I'm also interested into the Fender pickups - noiseless, lace sensor, and texas special. But I couldn't find any clips for these. Anyone know where I can get some?

So my questions are-

1. I plan on either coil tapping or using a parallel/series on the bridge, so which of those will work the best for splitting.

2. Which combos would be the best.

3. Do any of those pickups have major flaws that I should know about.

4. And which do you think I should put in the neck/middle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just for reference some tones I really like are-

Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Hendrix
    Clapton
    Tom Morello
    BB King
    John Frusciante
    Duane Allman
    David Gilmour

Sorry about the long post,
    thanks in advance.
    :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Re: So Many Choices...

Of the humbucker you names for the bridge I really like the PG, but it could be a bit bright in the bridge of a Strat, the seth is good, but you have to order it w/o a cover or remove the cover, as for the Stag-Mag...I know nothing, the Alnico II pro is a killer neck pickup, but I always endup with something else in the bridge. Here is my suggestion...this would give you an ultra quite Strat with lots of good tones...

neck and middle either duckbuckers or vintage rails
    bridge 59 or JB

if you want true single coils try the APS-2's in the neck and middle and a 59 in the bridge

If it were my strat and I wanted a bucker in the bridge I would get a new guardplate S/S/S and I would go either 2 duckbuckers and a JB Jr, or 2 vintage rails and a coolrails in the bridge or 2 APS-2's and a cool rail in the bridge. Getting a real good split tone froma bridge bucker in a Strat is a real hard thing to do. If I were gonna leave the guard plate you have and use a fullsize bucker I would go APS-2 in the neck and middle and a pearly gates in the bridge, but I would leave 250k pots to roll of a little bit of the treble.

Good Luck
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i think a pair of vintage or alnico pro singles in the neck with either a seth or a pearly gates would be a killer combo. i also recommend starting with 250k pots, if you want to you can always change it out later

Comment

I don't know much about wiring/pots, where could I read up and learn the basics?

Also, I want true single coils, not single coil sized humbuckers. Are the singles I listed true singles?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch
          I don't know much about wiring/pots, where could I read up and learn the basics?

Also, I want true single coils, not single coil sized humbuckers. Are the singles I listed true singles?

the Duncan Qans A is a great place to stert reading...JB Jr, lil 59, cool raols, hot rails vintage rails, duckbuckers...these pups are NOT true single coils...

APS-1
          APS-2
          SSL-1
          SSL-2
          SSL-3
          SSL-4
          SSL-5
          SSL-6
          SSL-7
          SSL52-1
          SSL52-1B
          APST-1
          These are all true single coil pickups as well as the Antiquity ones and twos...they are all great pickups...if youwant the Antiquity I's but money is tight, look at SSL-1's, if you want antiquity II's and money is tight look as APS-1's Many of the Duncan single coils come both in Staggered and Flat versions...If you have a flat radius go for the flats, if it is a rounder/vintage radius go for the staggered...you have a Fat Strat...i assume it has a 9.5 radius, if it were me I'd go with flat poles...It sounds like you really should look at a pair of APS-2's and a JB in the bridge...a JB sounds good when split, that would give you a great set-up with lost of different sounds!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Are antiquity's more expensive? The Texas Hots look pretty good.

As for bridge the JB does sound good. For bridge pickup i've limited it down to either a seth lover or JB.

As for the mid/neck.

Does using a single coil sized humbucker take away the strat tone? Or does it just reduce noise?

And can you explain what makes flat a better choice than staggered on my fat strat?

Sorry for my ignorance on pickups.

Comment

Are antiquity's more expensive? The Texas Hots look pretty good.

As for bridge the JB does sound good. For bridge pickup i've limited it down to either a seth lover or JB.

As for the mid/neck.

Does using a single coil sized humbucker take away the strat tone? Or does it just reduce noise?

And can you explain what makes flat a better choice than staggered on my fat strat?

Sorry for my ignorance on pickups.
              Antiquitys are more expensive...if you like the Texas Hots (these are my favorite right now as well!), but don't want to spend the cash for them...look at the APS-1's APS-2's, they have a lot of the same tone...and i think that they are the next best thing to Texas Hots! A single coil sized bucker does not sound like a single coil...most of the time, that said to my ears the duckbuckers and the vintage rails come the closest...I still prefer true single coils. Radius is the curve on your fretboard...you have a Fat Strat and it has a 9.5 inch radius...the rounder the radius you should use staggerred...the flatter it gets you should use flat poles, it has to do with string balence and helps make the tone much more even from string to string...if I were you I would go APS-2's (these are flat), and a JB in the bridge.

If you check out the Duncan Q&A in the support section, it will explain much more that I can...good luck

Comment

You said Aps-1 and Aps-2's are the closest to the Texas Hots. I only see Aps-1's listed, what are Aps-2's? And, regarding texas hots. How much do they cost? And are they comparable to Texas Specials?

Comment

You said Aps-1 and Aps-2's are the closest to the Texas Hots. I only see Aps-1's listed, what are Aps-2's? And, regarding texas hots. How much do they cost? And are they comparable to Texas Specials?
                  An APS-2 is an APS-1 with flat poles...an SSL-2 is an SSL-1 with flat poles, Antiquitys have staggered poles, so Texas hots would be closest to APS-1's while Surfers would be closest to SSL-1's.

Lew is the man to go to for pups...and for advise in my book!

Also...and this is just my opinion, Texas Specials are simply not very good pickups...if I were gonna buy Fender pups (which I would not do...I would go Duncan!!!) I would buy the Custom Shop 69's...but like I said I would go Duncan...and you should too!!!

Check Lew's site for good prices...the Antiquitys are a bit more...but well worth it!!!

Comment

I was leaning towards Sd's in the first place. The only reason I considered fender was because SRV used texas specials.

Antiquities aren't that much more expensive on Lew's site. Now if I could just get some recordings for antiquities.
                    Last edited by Twitch; 11-21-2004, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I was leaning towards Sd's in the first place. The only reason I considered fender was because SRV used texas specials.

Antiquities aren't that much more expensive on Lew's site. Now if I could just get some recordings for antiquities.
                      Ok brother 2 things...Curly has soundclips of antiquitys as well as APS, and the hot SSL pup on his site...find a post by Curly and click then play on...listen and enjoy! Second SRV never played Texas Specials...they came out on his Signature model AFTER he passed away! To me texas specials are missing most of the chime that makes a goot strat tone! After you look at the sound clips on curly's site...search for the 'ultimate strat tone" thread...it was started by Lew and has some killer info about various strat pickups.

Comment

Whoa, I thought SRV played texas specials :upset: And I call myself a fan. I found that strat thread searching the forum, and curly told me he had some recordings. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X