Did I wire this wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I wire this wrong?

About 6 months ago I wired a Custom Custom into my Strat and did'nt like what I was hearing which may have been my fault. I've also got 2 Dimarzio pickups wired up (Virtual 2's) and I may have had the CC wired out of phase. With the pickups selector switch in position 1 the CC was nothing but a loud midrange mess and in position 2 (bridge and middle combined) it was extremeley thin sounding. According the the schematic the black wire was to be used as the hot output. Because I'm also using Dimarzios should I have used one of the other wires on the CC as the hot output? Thanks.

Re: Did I wire this wrong?

As long as you wired the Duncan and the Dimarzios both in phase, you wired them correctly. When selected by itself, phase does not matter. Phase is only important when you have two pickups selected at once. Certain pickups are reversed in phase from others when wired properly, but I'm pretty sure that's not a problem when mixing Duncans and Dimarzios.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Hmmm. I still think something was wrong because I've heard clips of the CC by forum members which is what led me to try it. Again, the CC by itself was so loud and midrange heavy I thought my speaker was going to blow. I even lowered it to the point where I had the pickups top surface even with the pickguard and it was still to much.

Comment

the CC by itself is correct no matter what you did........the signal is loud and mid heavy, so its obviously not a bad or loose connection on the CC

now the in between position is thin, that means that those 2 pickups are out of phase

unfortunately, it just seems that CC is not the pickup for you if you think its too loud and mid heavy
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by flank

now the in between position is thin, that means that those 2 pickups are out of phase
          Reverse the CC's black and green leads. As a side note I'm pretty sure the VV has a South magnetic polarity, unlike the SD stacks which are North. The real question would be whether you are coil tapping or not in the 2 & 4 positions (which is unecessary with an HB and two stacks). Then you'd have to do a bit of rewiring.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
          X