Hot Rails space problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails space problem

Hi I'd like to have a Hot Rails in my Jackson Dinky's neck-position, only problem is, it doesn't have those V-shaped spares. I currently have a Cool Rails in the neck (which fits) but I'd switch it to the middle position and thus replace it by a Hot Rails. So are Hot Rails available without the V-shaped base or could this be removed (cut off?)?

tnx
    When the road gets tough, the tough get roadies

My gear

Re: Hot Rails space problem

Yes to both questions. You can order the Hot Rails without the lip, but I was told it would take about 6 weeks. I have also heard of people shaving thelip off to make it fit. You can also route the guitar just enough to drop the pickup in. That's what I did to my Charvel 650xl. I've got the Hot Rails in the neck, Cool Rails in the mid and a Distortion in the bridge. That combo completely rips and I think you would be happy with the results.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

well, it's not that urgent, I can wait a couple of weeks.

I had a distortion in the dinky but replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a TB4, which gives a warmer sound than the distortion. It's an all maple body btw.

My gear

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
        Yes to both questions. You can order the Hot Rails without the lip, but I was told it would take about 6 weeks. I have also heard of people shaving thelip off to make it fit. You can also route the guitar just enough to drop the pickup in. That's what I did to my Charvel 650xl. I've got the Hot Rails in the neck, Cool Rails in the mid and a Distortion in the bridge. That combo completely rips and I think you would be happy with the results.
        Travis do you happen to have a pic of the route you made. Seems With Full Distortion (JP) will be dealing with this issue once he gets the Hot Rails in transit. Hopefully it's not a huge mod, I'd hate to see any unnecessary surgery, just for a pickup.

Comment

I did the operation with removing the V-shaped spares several times. No problem at all with the HotRails as the wires are mounted in the baseplate with the jacket - not the bare wire like e.g. SSL1.
          I used a belt sander for this operation. For pull relief I glued the wire to the base plate.

Chris
          Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
          Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
          Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

Not the best picture, but the only one I have right now. The Hot Rails is in the neck with the Cool Rails in the mid. You can see the difference, subtle as it is.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/1trussell/IMG_3710.jpg[img]
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Hmm, didn't display. Oh well, just copy and paste and you'll get teh picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                Hmm, didn't display. Oh well, just copy and paste and you'll get teh picture.
                as I have done..
                I really don't want to mess with this guitar (PCS dinky), so I'll see and order one without the V-base.
                Anyone knows if it actually does well in an all-maple body? Won't be too muddy or so? I want a clear, powerfull neck pup that can produce a nice overdriven sound, which I can't get out of the Cool Rails...(MHO)

tnx,
                Bjorn

btw, Travis, aren't you on JCF too?

My gear

Comment

yes

Comment

Working...
                  X