Help with Strat Wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Strat Wiring!

So I thought up this crazy idea for my strat's wiring... but it doesn't really work very well. So I need help figuring out what is wrong.
    I have a volume and on/off switch for the neck pickup, volume and split for bridge, and master tone.
    Problems: Split doesn't work, and when either of the volumes are turned off, or the neck pickup switch is turned off, no sound comes out of the guitar.
    Here's the diagram (sorry for the sloppiness)

EDIT: How could I make it so that the neck pickup switch will turn off the bridge pickup when the neck pickup is engaged?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dd12939; 11-24-2004, 09:10 PM.

Re: Help with Strat Wiring!

DD, the two volumes will kill the circuit when one is turned down because it routes the signal (hot) to ground, if you hook the pup's to the wipers and run the jack to the hot lug (the one not grounded) then you'll get around that, but it will change your tone quite a bit when rolling down, and cahnge the response as well. As far as the coil tap, you haven't tapped it to anything? I'm assuming that you want the screw coil off, then hook ground to the coil tap switch or hot if you want the slug coil off (bear in mind I have no idea what pups you are using or if they will be in phase or humcancelling (you know the phrase ... not enough information).
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Thanks Kent!
      Right now, the single is the bridge pickup that came out of the strat, so it's just a mexican standard strat pickup. The humbucker is a neck model '59. I had it lying around so I decided to tool around with it and see what it sounded like. I'll switch out the SPST for the split to a DPDT and try what you said. I've changed my mind a little bit on what I want with the single coil. I want two separate circuits... never on at the same time. Can I use a DPDT instead of the SPST that I have so that when I turn ON the single, the humbucker will turn off?
      Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving!!
      David

Comment

Yeah, ... just run the neck pup to it's volume control (eliminating it's on/off switch), and then run the output of each to one side of a SPDT or DPDT On/On switch, and take the output from the middle lug (the common) and run that to the output jack.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

That did it! Thanks Kent!

Comment

Working...
          X