covers on pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covers on pups

Do Covers on a Seth Lover or a 59 hurt the sound in away? Do they help the sound?

What value do covers add?
    Heritage H-157 SLn/59b
    Victoria Victorilux 3X10
    Klon Centaur OD pedal
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb combo Series I
    TS 808 pedal
    Lowden O32

Re: covers on pups

the covers, IMO, act a little as a shield, and protect the humbuckers from producing what very little hum the unbalanced coils have. They also roll off a little bit on the highs of the tone. Gives it a little bit of a fatter sound. Think of it like this, you have a uncovered Seth, with 500k volume and tone pots. Well, a covered Seth would sound as though the volume and tone are on about 9, instead of 10, BUT, you wont lose any volume.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I don't think that covers effect the tone, I use uncovered Duncan humbucker pups/Double Cream/Black/Zebra, because I like the way they look.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratcat
        I don't think that covers effect the tone, I use uncovered Duncan humbucker pups/Double Cream/Black/Zebra, because I like the way they look.
        I Like covers and they look cool....I think we lose a very small amount of highs and some "air" to the tone,but it's very minimal at best...The potting vs un-potting issues would make way more difference than just the covers.

Bean....Nice to see you back buddy...Wondered what happened to ya?

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

What they said...but I feel it's more about appearance of the guitar than anything.

A fat buckers gonna sound like a fat bucker, whether or not it's covered.

Just cause your covered doesn't necessarily mean you're warm.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
            What they said...but I feel it's more about appearance of the guitar than anything.

A fat buckers gonna sound like a fat bucker, whether or not it's covered.

Just cause your covered doesn't necessarily mean you're warm.
            I agree.....
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

C'mon guys, think about it. Why do you think some tele players remove the cover on the neck pickup? it's not for cosmetic reasons, cause it makes it look butt ugly. Or what about putting a baseplate on the bottom of the pickup? it acts like a underneith pickup cover. I promise you guys, I'm right (I hardly ever get to say that )
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I agree with Beandip. I think the cover definitely does alter the tone, for several different reasons. First is, we're talking magnets here, and adding metal to the mix is gonna goof around with things. Second, the cover affects the distance the pickup is going to be from the strings, and we all know this has a drastic effect on the tone.

A few years ago, I stuck a cover on a Distortion, and it definitely sounded different. Bean's "vol & tone on 9" description is pretty much on the money.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                X