Mixing diff. humbucker brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing diff. humbucker brands?

Are there polarity or other issues I should look out for when it comes to mixing humbuckers?

I just found it strange that in the middle position, the sound was very clear but volume was noticeably lesser than either pup by itself. (Antiquity n + Gibson Iommi b)

Brought the Antiq really low and the Iommi high til I heard that they seemed to put out at more or less the same vol level.

I'm aware that this is not the greatest of pairings, but I'm just trying to make what I have work out ok.

Thanks for any info.

Jaime

Re: Mixing diff. humbucker brands?

I would consider replacing the Gibson bridge pickup with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup. I could be wrong but I don't think their would be polarity issues. It could just be a bad combo.
    Dealer for: Seymour Duncan, Tonepro, Allparts, Tech-21, Moses Graphite, CBI Cables, Mallory, Orange Drop & Hovland Capacitors, Hipshot & WD Products.

www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com

Comment

Your pickups are out of phase with one another. One of the magnets needs flipped.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
        Your pickups are out of phase with one another. One of the magnets needs flipped.

That's also what I think. AS far as flipping the mags, do it to the Antiquity, as the Iommi is potted with epoxy, if I'm not mistaken.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I suspected they could be out of phase, but was kinda hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Thanks guys for confirming it.

Comment

Yeah, it drives me crazy with pickups.
            There's all kinds of phase differences between Fender, Duncan, PRS, Gibson etc.
            Like they said, a magnet needs flipped. There's even a phase difference between Antiquity I's and II's.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

And, the reason it's done is to stay true to the exact specs of what the pickup is modeling itself after.....50's, 60's, modern. That's what determines the phase or wind direction. Ridiculous, but true.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
              X