banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

signal push! High and Low pickups question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signal push! High and Low pickups question.

hey guys,
    This came to my head and I thought I'd ask. Would a high output pickup have a better signal "push" through cables then medium/low output pickups?

here is what I mean:
    When you start to run cable between guitar and amp or first pedal thats 20' or longer, you start to loose some tone (highs, lows, gain, etc..). So in that case, you'd need a buffer half way to "re-pump" the signal to the amp or first pedal.

Would there be more tone loss when using medium/low output pickups and long cables? or there is appsolutly no different?

Thanks!
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Re: signal push! High and Low pickups question.

A higher resistance/impedance pup will lose more tone than a lower resistance/impedance pup, the voltage has nothing to do with cable loss in this case. For instance a vintage single coil will lose less hi end then a hot humbucker per the same cable and length, the buffer does it's magic by lowering the source impedance and has nothing to do with voltage.
    Now output cables from power amps into PA cabinets ... yeah that's a different story,but again impedances are the main factors there, tonally speaking, the voltage loss in a guitar cable is so tiny that it doesn't matter at all.
    Last edited by Kent S.; 11-30-2004, 01:20 AM.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Re: signal push! High and Low pickups question.

Originally posted by Kent S.
      A higher resistance/impedance pup will lose more tone than a lower resistance/impedance pup, the voltage has nothing to do with cable loss in this case. For instance a vintage single coil will lose less hi end then a hot humbucker per the same cable and length, the buffer does it's magic by lowering the source impedance and has nothing to do with voltage.
      No output cables from power amps into PA cabinets ... yeah that's a different story,but again impedances are the main factors there, tonally speaking, the voltage loss in a guitar cable is so tiny that it doesn't matter at all.
      Thanks for the info!
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Working...
      X