Question concerning humbuckers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning humbuckers.

I am trying to figure out what kind of pickups/humbuckers would be best for me.I have been looking at the SH-4 JB and the SH-2 Jazz Model.I play hard rock and metal through a Randall RH200 head with a 4x12 Randall cab.My guitar is an Epihpone SG Special.I dont think that the specs for the "Tone Wizard" are specific enough for my guitar. If I were to use that combination of humbuckers, where would the best placeing of them be?Would that combination even be the best?Could somone help me?

Re: Question concerning humbuckers.

Unless your playing extreme death metal, that combo would be excellent. JB in the bridge, Jazz in neck, your good to go. Best thing about that combo is that is versitile enough to play other styles of music if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by marty_the_westie
      Unless your playing extreme death metal, that combo would be excellent. JB in the bridge, Jazz in neck, your good to go. Best thing about that combo is that is versitile enough to play other styles of music if need be.

Listen to the GOAT!!!

Only joking.

The Jazz/JB combo is great in certain guitars, but I'm also fond of the Pearly Gates in the neck and the Custom in the bridge.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I have an SG and I just switched my neck 59 out for a Jazz and I am absolutely floored by the results. For the neck spot in an SG, I thing the Jazz is tough to beat for many styles, including hard rock and metal.

Comment

i don't think the Jazz neck can be beat. It makes for nice strums, good rythym chunking, and runs with loads of distortion the the while without mudding out on you. For the bridge the JB would probably work well in your SG. I had a JB in my LP and it sounded overly bright and trebley but it had a maple top so that contributed to the brightness. You might also want to look at a C5 (also had it in a LP and hated it) it also has an A5 mag like the JB and would produce good solid lead and crunch. with a high gain amp you could also consider a jazz bridge or Screaming Demon.

For a warmer sound go for the Custom Custom. Also with a high gain amp you might want to try an A2P (jazz, A2p is my combo for hard rock) or PG.

All that aside though Jazz and JB are a good combo lots of folks find their tone with that setup.

and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by marty_the_westie
              +1

i got a 59n in the neck spot though and LOVE it

Comment

Hey, man. Welcome! For the kind of music you play, the JB/Jazz combo would suit you well, and so wouls the SH-6 Distortion/59 combo, in my opinion. They are good for many styles of rock and metal, and through a Randall would probably give you great "chunk" and clarity, too.
                Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                Peavey Valve King 1x12
                Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Working...
                X