gauss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauss...

how can it be measured, and what are some typical numbers on some Duncan pups??? Let's see who really does their homewrk
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: gauss...

Homework?

my dog ate it.

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah, I come here to run away from that!

Comment

It's called a GAUSSMETER

There is a device called a "hall effect device" that can be put in a cheap circuit to measure this. Radio Shack USED to have one for a couple bucks, but stopped carrying it. Arrow has it, but IIRC there's a minimum order amount for them.

I wanted to build a gaussmeter, since retail ones are expensive, but this project uses the discontinued piece:

Comment

Besides a good gauss meter, it would be very difficult to get accurate gauss measurements without having a precise holding fixture to replicate your testing (due to the fact that magnetic field strength follows the ‘inverse cube law’).

This means that if you double the distance from a reference point, the field strength will decrease by a cube factor
          Or another way to put it, if your gauss meter read ‘1000’ at 1mm from a magnetic source, it would read ‘10’ at 2mm from the source.

Think about that next time you adjust your pickup height...
          THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
          1. Quit your whining.
          2. Quit your crying.
          3. Suck it up.
          If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Interestingly though, the output voltage tends to follow the inverse square law ... double the distance of pup to strings, get a halving of the voltage.
            Off topic, but I've got an old BOSS rocker distortion that uses a hall element instead of a pot to vary the level of distortion ... kinda cool actually, wish they'd bring that back, no pot to wear out, and no pot noise.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

this sounds pretty interesting... its nice when you can use maths to look at stuff like this..

Comment

Working...
              X