Pickups for mahogany Steinberger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for mahogany Steinberger

I've been interested in getting a Steinberger USA GR-4R which are now made with Mahogany bodies, but this passive model still uses the same pickups from when it had an all Maple body: Custom Custom bridge, and two hot rails for neck and middle. Reviews say this is a dark combination, as I would expect. Considering the Mahogany and graphite neck combo, what pickups to get a slightly hot vintage LPish bridge tone and Stratish neck and middle? I want the option of more treble clarity and presence if needed using the tone knob than you'd expect of a Mohogany body guitar.

I tried to send an email asking about the electronics and pots to MusicYo, but they don't respond. (So much for customer service, may just get a used one then.)

Re: Pickups for mahogany Steinberger

Try either Duckbuckers or Vintage rails in the neck and middle (If you want the noiseless) or SSL-1's or APS-1's (if you don't mind the hum) and a 59, Custom 5, or even a Pearly Gates in the bridge. If it were me I would go APS's in the neck and middle and the Pearly Gates in the bridge!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: Pickups for mahogany Steinberger

Welcome to the Forum!

Personally, I'd keep the CC in the bridge and just replace the HR's in the neck and mid for Cool Rails.

Keep in mind that along with the mahogany body, your'e still dealing with a Graphite neck, which can get bright.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
      X