banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need an acoustic pickup quickly...which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need an acoustic pickup quickly...which one?

Okay a gig has come around sorta quick and its acoustic and it just dawned on me that i wont have time to save and buy another acoustic with a pickup already installed so im gonna have to get one for my washburn quickly.

Its a D11TR, nice sounding and playing guitar...and looks great too (its translucent red), but i know nothing about pickups so can you guys please suggest some.

It will probably be for going straight into a PA (if thats what you do, i have never played an acoustic gig) and i dont know anything about acoustic pickups or what gives you different tones. I guess i want a full but natural sounding tone for lead...something that still retains as much of the steel string sound as possible.

Thanks guys in advance
    My Soundclick page.

Re: I need an acoustic pickup quickly...which one?

Here are three choices:

1) An inexpensive, instant-mount, magnetic soundhole pickup like the Woody or Acoustic Tube. Easiest and Least expensive.

2) A high-quality under saddle transducer like the D-TAR Timber-Line or Sadducer. The Timber-Line is a piezo film pickup that includes a built-in 18 volt preamp. The Sadducer is "bare foot" in that it does not require a pre-amp (but an off-board unit like the D-TAR Solstice will give you much more natural sound for this -- or any acousitc pickup).

3) At the top of the line is the SA-6 Mag Mic. IMO, it's simply the best acoustic guitar pickup. Ever.

I hope that helps.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks Evan for the quick response.

Are they all duncans or are they different brands?
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Bump...
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

The magnetics -- the Woody, Acoustic Tube and Mag Mic -- are all Seymour Duncan products.

The piezos -- Timber-Line and Sadducer -- and the off board Solstice, are all D-TAR.

Enjoy!
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I use the Duncan Acoustic Tube with my Martin D-28, and love it.

Comment

While we're on the topic, is there anything available to replace the "split saddle" piezo of a Takamine? I'm tossing up between replacing the stock piezo with a mic/piezo combo in the new year

Comment

Thanks heaps guys
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

Hmmm, i went into my music shop today looking for acoustic pickups, and almost came out with a new cole clark on lay by!

The guy showed me an EMG acoustic pickup which he said was really good. But then i started playing this really nice cole clark and it sounded and felt like a dream...so the wheels in my head started cranking away and the words "lay by lay by" just kept coming out at random times in conversation...i must stop myself!

ARRGGHHHHHHHHHH why did i look at acoustics!!!!!
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

I think it was a cole clark fat lady 3...it definitely had an ebony fingerboard. Just a gem!
                    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
                    X