Need pickup suggestion for my RG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pickup suggestion for my RG

I need pickup suggestions for my RG2120X which has mahogany body and maple neck+rosewood fingerboard.

I will be playing probably from pop, classic rock, to nu metal and 80s metal.

It currently has stock DiMarzio/IBZ pups which I found to be quite decent. I like the bridge but the neck just... sucks bad!

I prefer to have better metal sound as well (especially 80s), since it also has a piezo system which I can use for softer stuff.

I'm playing thru modellers, mainly ToneLab SE and sometimes PODxt.

Thank you.

Re: Need pickup suggestion for my RG

Hey welcome to the forum Loopback!

I would think a JB-b/Jazz-n would suit you fine. Set them up for a spliting coils as well and you'll be covered for everything you've listed.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

JB/Jazz sounds like a winner
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That's a nice guitar, welcome to the forum!

The JB is great for most stuff you described but I can't really imagine it doing serious NU-Metal. However it's a dead on pick up for the rest of the music you want to cover. For a little more agression and tight low end look into the Custom for the bridge, that pick up can probably cover everything you just mentioned

For the neck the Jazz is pretty cool, if you want fat leads, grungy modern/'90 riffs, punchy and smooth sound, but also very articulate and clear (if you're a sloppy player don't get it). The clean sound is beautiful. Do a search on the Jazz if you want a good description, I did one a few days ago and posted a little shred clip.
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
        X