Coil and Magnet Swapping....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil and Magnet Swapping....

How do you swap coils? I've swapped magnets before, but not coils! I'm really interested in trying this! Anyone have any how to or tips?
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Coil and Magnet Swapping....

Ignore this thread! It's amazing what using a search will do for ya!

Comment

swaping coils is pretty simple actully. You'll need a soldering Iron. Two pickups with Identical bobbin size (and pole peice spaceing i.e. two duncan bridge buckers). And you'll need some electrical tape.

First you completely unscrew the bobbins from the bottom plate. Then you find where the wires are soldered to the wires that lead out of the pickup (or just soldered together in the case of a 59' or other two conductor pickup). You unsolder the bobbins from the Leads. Then do the same thing to another pickup. Take whichever bobbin you wanna swap, and solder it in place of the bobbin you removed, makeing sure to hook up the like colored wires. This is provided they're from the same manufacturer. If not then you'll have to figure out what is what (i.e. which end is the begaining and which is the end). You put some electrical tape onto the solder joint. And screw the bobbins back into place. Hook everything up and yer done.

Now keep in mind that if one coil has a Dc of 6k, and the other has a Dc of 10 or whatever. The pickup won't be fully humcanceling. It will cancel some hum, but not all.
      But also keep in mind that many of the Classic P.A.F. pickups didn't have matched Coils (i.e. different DcRst). Having unmatched Coils Seems to Help add a nice Crunch to distorted playing (in my experiance at least). And gives humbuckers a Semi Singlecoil quality clean. But they won't be Humcancleing.

I'm surprised more people don't do this. I mean its really easy to come up with some very unique sounding pickups this way. And also a very easy way of getting Double cream buckers. Just but a Zebra pickup and a reverse Zebra pickup and swap coils and bada bing. YOu'll have one Cream Pup and one Black one.

It's really easy to do. So as long as yer pretty confident with a soldering Iron, and Are careful not to gouge a bobbin and ruin the coil. You should be able to do this just fine. I say do a practice run on a couple pickups you don't like, before trying it on some pickups you do like. That way if you mess sumthing up, you haven't ruined anything you like. Its better to make a mistake on sumthing you don't care about. Then you can learn from that mistake, and not have ruined anything good in the process.

So Be careful, have fun, and Post the results of yer experiment. Ed
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Here Ya Go...
        GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for the info! I'll be scouring ebay for some deals to experiment with!

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
          X