banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a 59n with A2 compares to a PGn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a 59n with A2 compares to a PGn?

Anyone can give me their input? I have a 59n but I find it a bit bassy and muffled compared to the PGn I used to have.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: How does a 59n with A2 compares to a PGn?

Originally posted by Sly_D
    Anyone can give me their input? I have a 59n but I find it a bit bassy and muffled compared to the PGn I used to have.
    A large part of the tone of a PG is the mismatched coils, as far as I know a 59 has matched coils and simply changing it to an A2 magnet won't give you the sound you are looking for.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Damn... another sale / trade in the near future... I love it

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
      Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
        A large part of the tone of a PG is the mismatched coils, as far as I know a 59 has matched coils and simply changing it to an A2 magnet won't give you the sound you are looking for.

You're right, it won't get you in PG territory, but a 59n with alnico II is very sweet. The boominess goes away, the highs get smoother, and the mids just sing.

If you're into playing clean jazz or blues leads from your neck pickup, this is your humbucker. don't worry, it'll still rock out in a big, big way.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
        X