Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails with Fender Vintage Noiseless

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    I just bought a Fender U.S. Deluxe Strat Plus with 3 Fender Vintage Noiseless
    Pickups. I want to toss out the bridge pick-up and replace it with a Hot Rails.
    Here's the problem. The Vintage Noiseless come standard with a 1meg volume pot. Do I need to switch this out? Because there is only one dedicated volume for the guitar and I have to switch the pot to 500 or 250 will this not effect the middle neck pickups as well?
    Again any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank-You

Re: Hot Rails with Fender Vintage Noiseless

Originally posted by BrentB6
    Any advice would be appreciated!!
    I just bought a Fender U.S. Deluxe Strat Plus with 3 Fender Vintage Noiseless
    Pickups. I want to toss out the bridge pick-up and replace it with a Hot Rails.
    Here's the problem. The Vintage Noiseless come standard with a 1meg volume pot. Do I need to switch this out? Because there is only one dedicated volume for the guitar and I have to switch the pot to 500 or 250 will this not effect the middle neck pickups as well?
    Again any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank-You

Damn fine question...and I don't have the answer. All I can tell you is that Tom Morello has the set-up and it sounds cool!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Come on people. If I can't the info here where can I get get it. Anybody????

Comment

I'll say this...i have a feeling that a Hot rail with a 1 meg is gonna be real fat...maybe too fat, normal single coils use the 250k...I'd say split the difference and try a 500K first...the only think that should happen is that the Fender noiseless pups should become a bit brighter...this might not be a bad thing.

good luck bro!

The guy who invented fire
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

If it really is too much with a 1meg pot for the hot rails, try putting a 1Meg (if you want 500K) or 333K (250K) resistor across the hot and ground\common of the hotrails. This is much easier than changing out the pot(s) and wouldn't affect the sound of the other pups, and won't be too bright in the 2nd position either. The only problem is that the taper will act a little wierd for the hot rails and the 2nd position.
          Last edited by korinastratkyle; 12-04-2004, 11:52 AM.
          ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Originally posted by korinastratkyle
            If it really is too much with a 1meg pot for the hot rails, try putting a 1Meg (if you want 500K) or 333K (250K) resistor across the hot and ground\common of the hotrails. This is much easier than changing out the pot(s) and wouldn't affect the sound of the other pups, and won't be too bright in the 2nd position either. The only problem is that the taper will act a little wierd for the hot rails and the 2nd position.
            The taper shouldn't be effected at all if the resistor is placed in the correct place in the path, and the volume is wired conventionally (i.e. output taken from the wiper). Just run it from the hot lug of the volume to ground (you can do it right on the pot itself, or have it switched in or out if your switching permits), don't run it after the volume control though.
            If you just want to effect the Hot Rails involved connections, then the above is a simple and great way to do it.
            However, try it with the 1Meg volume pot, you might like it as it might balance well with the other pups.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I have posted this question everywhere and these are the only responses I have received. Good advice and I will try this.
              I was under the assumption that the SD Hot Rail would sound to shrill (high) with the one meg pot as oppose to sounding to fat,anyway now I know. I will try the SD Hot Rail straight up and then see waht happens. If it sucks I will put on resistors.
              Thanks Again
              Brent

Comment

Working...
              X