what makes the JB so rich in tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes the JB so rich in tone?

even though i like other pups like the emg 81,DD,custom,EVO, it seems to me that of all these the JB has the most richness in tone?
    is it the way seymour EQ'ed the JB or is there something else the JB has?

Re: what makes the JB so rich in tone?

I think it's the way it's EQd. In the *right* guitar it's very full sounding IMO and fits great in the mix...it has many of the frequencies that make a guitar heard amongst other instruments.

Comment

It has musical crack inside it
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        I think it's the way it's EQd. In the *right* guitar it's very full sounding IMO and fits great in the mix...it has many of the frequencies that make a guitar heard amongst other instruments.
        thanks ranalli i agree that the JB has te ultimate "cut" in a band situation.
        my kramer USA is a maple body but suprisingly the JB does not sound ice picky in it?
        it just has great presence/richness and is very dynamic

Comment

Personally, I think the Screamin' Demon cuts better than the JB ...
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
            Personally, I think the Screamin' Demon cuts better than the JB ...
            isnt that a lower output model?

Comment

Output won't make as much as a difference in terms of cutting through the mix as the way the pickup is EQ'd, IMHO. For the guitar, mids cut through in a band situation more than anything else, as the bass and cymbals on the drum kit take care of the bottom end and treble, respectively.
              After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                Output won't make as much as a difference in terms of cutting through the mix as the way the pickup is EQ'd, IMHO. For the guitar, mids cut through in a band situation more than anything else, as the bass and cymbals on the drum kit take care of the bottom end and treble, respectively.
                i was told that it is best to use a pup that is not too bass heavy? that the low end should come from the amp or it may get muddy?
                i am considering trying a EMG 81 since it is said to be very clear and has medium bass? but i am sceptical that it will have the richness of the JB

Comment

Originally posted by SABOTAGE
                  i was told that it is best to use a pup that is not too bass heavy? that the low end should come from the amp or it may get muddy?
                  i am considering trying a EMG 81 since it is said to be very clear and has medium bass? but i am sceptical that it will have the richness of the JB
                  Well, if you have a bass-heavy amp then yes, it will sound pretty muddy if you use a pickup that is ALSO bass heavy. I've always tried to select pickups that balanced well with the tonal tendencies of my guitars/amps. I haven't tried the JB (although I will be doing so soon), but all accounts I hear speak of it being a very balanced pickup .

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                    Well, if you have a bass-heavy amp then yes, it will sound pretty muddy if you use a pickup that is ALSO bass heavy. I've always tried to select pickups that balanced well with the tonal tendencies of my guitars/amps. I haven't tried the JB (although I will be doing so soon), but all accounts I hear speak of it being a very balanced pickup .
                    yeah and i have heard it(the JB) works well in most guitars? from floyd super strats to les pauls?

Comment

Yep, it's not the most popular pickup for no reason.

Comment

The secret ingredient is love...and built-in diode clipping circuitry (just kidding).

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                          The secret ingredient is love...and built-in diode clipping circuitry (just kidding).

is it true that seymour wound it for his two bucker telecaster that later was givin to jeff beck?
                          and i heard it is designed with 250K pots in mind? i use 500K???

Comment

it's got an awesome tone!!

it's all about how it's vocied. it's upper mids give it the clarity and richness IMO
                            killer tone and enough bass response to rip off heads

i love it

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                              it's got an awesome tone!!

it's all about how it's vocied. it's upper mids give it the clarity and richness IMO
                              killer tone and enough bass response to rip off heads

i love it
                              yeah i was using the JB set far from the strings before and did not think it had enough low end girth,but now i set it real close and it is MUCHO THUMPY now!

Comment

Working...
                              X