Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB-102 Friend or Foe?

Hi

Have any of you guys tried the HB-102 pup. Ana if so in which guitar was it utilized and how was the tone?

I'm intrigued by the idea that it was modeled as a combination between the JB and SH-2n Jazz Model...

Re: HB-102 Friend or Foe?

Friend.

I have a set in a Schecter Tempest Bigsby (the semi-hollow).

BTW, they're not really a combination between the JB and Jazz neck -- they're more of a copy of the JB bridge (HB-102b) and Jazz neck (HB-102n).

Here's my endorsement of them: when I got the guitar, I figured I'd pull the pickups out and replace them with USA-made pickups. That was three years ago. I still "haven't gotten around to it."
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Ok that sounds cool.the reason why I'm asking is that I'm contemplating buying an ESP SC-200, stephen carpenter signature, an affordable guitar and if these pups are of the quality that you say, it could be a nice choice. Is that something you can recommend?

Comment

I have it. it came in my esp also. i moved it to my ibanez and put a real jb in my esp just to have the strings align better. (the bridge on the esp is standard spaced and the bridge on the ibanez is trembucker spaced.) i really can't tell the difference in the 2. i like it a lot.

edit: you'll be able to nail Stephan Carpenter's tone with the right amp. He is the reason i bought the jb anyway (got the esp later)
        -Greg

Guitars:
        2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
        2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
        2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
        Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Ok what Ibanez and Esp model do you have?

M

Comment

And sorry forgot what amp do you use? or what amp and effects would you consider coming close to the carpenter sound/tone?

Comment

ibanez is a GRX 40
              ESP is an ltd mv-200
              amp is a Crate gfx-1200h with GX412S cab
              effects - just a chorus and reverb when i felt like it.
              -Greg

Guitars:
              2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
              2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
              2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
              Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I've had that set in an LTD Viper, LTD M100, Schecter 006, and Ibanez AX-something. The HB102b that came stock in the Schecter totally kicked ass. The one from the Viper (which went into the other LTD & Ibanez) totally ate balls. They are inconsistent, in that, some are almost identical to JBs, and some are awful.

I don't really think you should base the decision of whether or not to buy the guitar on the stock pickups. There's ALWAYS somebody getting rid of a JB on the Trading Post or Ebay for pretty cheap.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

ok thanks for the reply. The Ebay thing is a bit problematic though, considering my current residency in Denmark and not all ship internationally but thanks again for your inputs.

M

Comment

Working...
                  X