banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing single coils: does pickup orientation matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing single coils: does pickup orientation matter?

Hey guys, when installing a set of three single coils, does it matter which way I have them facing? This is my first experience with single coils, I want to make sure they are all in phase with one another. I always know which way to install humbuckers because of the location of the screw coils, but I'm not so sure with singles. Does it matter how they are oriented in the pickguard? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Installing single coils: does pickup orientation matter?

If the bottomplate is 'triangular', like a vintage Strat PU, then you want the triangle part to face toward the bridge.

In terms of the magnets, it only makes a difference if the PU has staggered poles. If it does have staggered poles, you want to put it in the guitar so the lowest pole piece is under the 'B' string. If the poles are flat (all the same height), then it makes no difference.
    Scott Miller
    New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
    Seymour Duncan

Comment

Ryan, turning a pup around physically doesn't have anything at all to do with it's phase or polarity ... None. You'd have to mount a single coil upside down to effect it's polarity, but then it's magnetic polarity would be reversed also ... putting it right back to the phase it was to begin with ... Take a single coil laying on a table that's South magnetic & wound CCW, reach over and turn it around (Like Scott stated, so that the bobbin bottom protrusion with the leads points away from you {meaning it pointed towards you to begin with}), and you still have a South magnetic & CCW wound pup, nothing has changed.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
        X