Upgrade to Active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Active

Hi, Ive got a Jap P bass. A while ago I changed the pickups in it to Seymour Duncan Passive Quarter Pounders. It made a really great change to the bass, very nice sound. But lately Ive been playing an Active bass and I love the sound. So now Im considering upgrading the P bass to Active.

But Im wondering whats the best way of doing this. Should I purchase new Active Pickups and replace the Seymour Duncan? Or could I just purchase a Preamp and make the current Pickups active? Are there any negatives to this? Hum, Noise...? I realise that I will have to make room in the bass for battery and preamp etc, Im confident I can do this but any advice would be great.

Re: Upgrade to Active

it'd be sacrilege to carve up a jap fender! hehe i couldnt ever do it to mine

the thing is when i switched to actives for a while, i missed the feel of passives as soon as i'd done it. it might be an idea to get a second bass just for active stuff?

Comment

Re: Upgrade to Active

Thanks but.... I already have a Second bass thats active, a Musicman. And the passive bass just doesnt stand up to it. So I find now that I hardly ever play it. And I never use it live anymore. Its shame to see it gather dust. So to spruce it up and start using it again would be great... And I'd like to have a project like that for myself to do anyway!

Comment

Working...
      X