Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU replacement, suggestion needed ^_^

hi all, this is my first post on this site, hoping to get some help ^_^
    i have a used Jackson Kelly standard. it comes with 2 stock humbuckers. volume switch and 3 way toggle switch, No tone switch in this case.

im replacing only the bridge PU for now due to short budget$$$... im thinking on EMG 81 or Dimarzio X2N since i play metallica and megadeth stuffs.

having in mind to replace just the bridge PU, i've been told that if i want to go active, i must replace both PU's to active. is it true?

also, having NO tone switch, will any of these PU sound good on my guitar? or is there any other cool bridge PU that costs under USD 100?

i've never heard how these PUs sound, i live in central america, there is NO WAY to try them out... and im buying the PU through a friend in Vegas..

thanks a lot for your helps!!

P.S.>> my setup: Jackson Kelly STD -> Boss MT-2 -> Digitech RP300 -> Dean 75 watts amp.
    Jackson Kelly Std
    Washburn Acoustic
    Boss Metal Zone Mt-2
    Boss Flanger BF-2
    Digitech RP300

...no amp. sad but true.

Re: PU replacement, suggestion needed ^_^

Originally posted by Altitudes911
    having in mind to replace just the bridge PU, i've been told that if i want to go active, i must replace both PU's to active. is it true?

also, having NO tone switch, will any of these PU sound good on my guitar? or is there any other cool bridge PU that costs under USD 100?

P.S.>> my setup: Jackson Kelly STD -> Boss MT-2 -> Digitech RP300 -> Dean 75 watts amp.
    1. You can have active and passive pups in the same guitar. You may need separate volume controls for each, I don't know.

2. The X2N sounds good to me. The EMG 81 I don't know. I have an EMG 85 in the bridge of a guitar with a Duncan 59 in the neck (Active and passive in one guitar). The EMG is OK, but uninspiring and a little sterile. The EMG 81 is voiced with more treble than the EMG 85, which would be a problem for me. The EMG's are supposed to be good for Metallica though, since I believe they use them. Also the EMG's are good if you use a lot of effects. They don't muddy up.

3. A lot depends on your amp and setup. There are plenty of other good pickups under $100.00.

Comment

Re: PU replacement, suggestion needed ^_^

Until recently Dave Mustaine has been a JB in the bridge guy. That biting searing tone that is his calling card is coming from that JB. A JB will run you about $70 US. Now his new ESP is going to have some signature SD pups in it. It seems someone said that the oldest Metallica stuff was done with Ducnan Distortions.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
      X