banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive Decided a pickup change might be in order...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive Decided a pickup change might be in order...

I have a Dimarzio Breed Bridge model pickup installed in the bridge of my strat and i like it but im finding its not quite there as far as the tone i want. I like the plentiful amount of bass this pickup delivers but the midrange is just a bit to extreme and the i dont like amount of bite this pickup has.

Im looking for a pickup with lots of growly bass like the breed but without so much midrange and more treble but less bite. Anyone have any recomendations?

Re: Ive Decided a pickup change might be in order...

bump

Comment

Bump
      Originally posted by Kanye West
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Just basing my answer in the tone chart eq's I would recomend the C-5. It is a 59 with higher output...

Comment

If you like the Dimarzio style of pickups, maybe you should try the Tone Zone? Looking at their EQ charts it's a breed with less midrange and more output. I don't know if it's still got too much mids. I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard some pretty good reviews about it (and some bad, too). It seems to be a love/hate pickup, which I consider a good thing.
              There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Thank you Johtosotku and mongrollo for giving me some help. My main problem with the midrange of the breed is that it honks and ive come to hate it. Im not a fan of a honky midrange ive decided though i do enjoy the fullness and prescence that the breeds mids give my sound. I probably shoulda been more specific with my original post i hope this can help other people understand better what i want. Does the Tone Zone honk?
                Last edited by Dodger; 12-16-2004, 06:52 AM.

Comment

From what I've read about the TZ, it can REALLY get MUDDY!!!

Comment

|EVO|

Ishan
                    Guitars:
                    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
                    Amps:
                    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
                      Thank you Johtosotku and mongrollo for giving me some help. My main problem with the midrange of the breed is that it honks and ive come to hate it. Im not a fan of a honky midrange ive decided though i do enjoy the fullness and prescence that the breeds mids give my sound. I probably shoulda been more specific with my original post i hope this can help other people understand better what i want. Does the Tone Zone honk?
                      I fact I think you have been very specific about tone but not about the type of music (or the amount of distortion) you want to play with. First you should decided if you want it clean, semi clean or distorted. And then the general tone: more sharp/snappy or more buttery. This will lead you to low, medium or high output and to the pickup magnet: ceramic, alnico V or alnico II. (Dimarzio only uses ceramic and alnico V, to emulate alnicoII uses his airbucker technique)

If you decided this things the you will have two or three to choose from.

Comment

I play Hardrock in general but mix my own weird **** into it. I like to use alot more then just power chords which means clarity is a big issue for me. I like to have a sharp and snappy high end but not as bitey as what im getting from the breed it just bites to much for me. I dont play with massive amounts of gain such as nu-metal but i dont wanna rule out the ability to. I play with between a medium to high amount of gain mostly.

Im trying to create my own personal and unique tone but to compare it to where its coming from id say nuno betten court from extremes tone, van halens tone, Blink 182's tone on the take of your pants and jacket album, and the tone on the first alien ant farm album are the tones ive really admired and had a digging ear for.

Edit: When i say vanhalens tone im talking bout the 5150 album tone.
                        Last edited by Dodger; 12-21-2004, 04:31 AM.

Comment

There are this custom series which are esentially the same pickup with a different magnet:

Custom custom (CC): alnicoII
                          Custom 5 (C5): alnicoV
                          Duncan Custom: ceramic

So may be you are looking for something like the C5. It is a medium/high output pickup and keeps the clarity when pushed. You can check the thread:

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

There you have a comparation between CC and C5 which is a great example. I like the C5 best...

Out this custom series you have the JB. Many people like it a lot, I have tried it and didn't like it so much. It is a humbucker that doesn't have bottom end because it is designed to cut thru the mix.

Comment

Outa those 2 clips the CC is awesome and the C-5 sucks its totally empty of mids my ears and sounds to glassy imo. Thanks for you input though.

Comment

Then you are on your way, he he.

Comment

Working...
                              X