banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any pickups make an all Maple guitar sound good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can any pickups make an all Maple guitar sound good?

Blues Trembucker

Comment

If you're looking to cure brightness and beef up mids and bottom end without insane gain(Invader) I'd recommend a few Dimarzios as well. Super Distortion, Super3, PAF Pro. THe Norton, Fred, and Breed also might work although I've never tried them in a bright guitar. But there a lot of pickups that will beef up your sound somewhat like a Les Paul...I've found those tones in the 3 Dimarzios mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        If you're looking to cure brightness and beef up mids and bottom end without insane gain(Invader) I'd recommend a few Dimarzios as well. Super Distortion, Super3, PAF Pro. THe Norton, Fred, and Breed also might work although I've never tried them in a bright guitar. But there a lot of pickups that will beef up your sound somewhat like a Les Paul...I've found those tones in the 3 Dimarzios mentioned above.
        You beat me to the Super3! That might be the best suggestion of them all, it has really rolled back highs and a ton of balls. I had one in my Heavy Metal Strat and it took all the tinnyness caused by the Floyd out of the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
          You beat me to the Super3! That might be the best suggestion of them all, it has really rolled back highs and a ton of balls. I had one in my Heavy Metal Strat and it took all the tinnyness caused by the Floyd out of the sound.

Yup...that's exactly what it does.

I was turned onto that pickup after I found out Phil Collen of Def Leppard was using them.

They always had this big mahogany bodied type sound in their guitars up until their more recent albums and I wondered how he was able to get that type of sound live with a super-strat.

Super 3 was it. Really big mids and a decent but not huge and boomy bottom end. The key though is the top end is rolled off some so it works well in bright guitars that have a tendency to sound thin and tinny with other pickups. And there are a few other Dimarzios that work similarly...most notably ones that have boosted mids and lows.

Comment

Working...
          X