Epiphone Stock Pickups vs. SH-5 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epiphone Stock Pickups vs. SH-5 Custom

How about this... my perfect tone would be identical to the one Jones has in the song Lateralus off of the matching album. If any one is familar with this song please let me know which pick up would better play it (sh-5/6).
    Last edited by neckcutta; 12-15-2004, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I have an EPI SG that had alnico 5 stock pups. I replaced them with a custom
      and APHII. Major difference that i noted was more clarity and definition and all round better sound.

Comment

Originally posted by neckcutta
        Well, I've been thinking lately...

Is there THAT big of a difference between the epi-stock pup's (LP:Custom) and the sh-5 custom?

Anyone who has done this (I know Nightburst has) please let me know what differences you noticed?
        Let me tell you from personal experience... DUMP those Epi pickups. I have a Epi Les Paul Standard Flametop that I put a set of '59s in. OMG, night and day difference.
        Nope...

Comment

are EMG-HZ on the epi zakk wylde and Gibson Iommi Humbuckers on the Epi Tony Iommi considered stock epi pups?

if yes.. the gibson iommi's rock! they're heavy and darker.....
          On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

i think tool uses JB

i have an sh-6 in my les paul and it kicks so much ass!!!
            tone is so thick, yet very clear, great singing lead tone.

i think an sh-6 would be great for you

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm leaning more toward the sh-6.
              It just seems to be that extra "notch" i need.
              I mean, I really do play metal mostly.
              The only band I play that doesn't sound metal is maybe Rage.

Comment

... bumpity-bump.

Comment

I can testify that the SH-5 is a kickarse bridge pickup for hard rock in a Les Paul. And it will do metal too.

But if you mostly play modern metal you may want to go hotter, and the SH-6 sound like a good idea too.

Comment

All the Tool stuff was recorded with a JB (SH-4). Rumor has it that Adam is now using a Distortion, but if the Lateralus tone is what you want, a LP with JB (plus a Marshall bass head & Diezel VH4 ) should work.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

A small review for the Custom TB-5:

I put the Custom in my guitar last week and I loved its tone. I play 80s and more modern metal and hard rock. It does everything without any problem. The thing that I like is that it has a vintage voice in its modern sound and makes a "tone from hell". The low end is strong and the palm mutes are very tight even on the low E string. The mids are just right. The high end has a "metal on metal" rattle that I like very much. You can hear the PAF voicing inside the whole sound with a more metallic twist. There are lots of PAFs for blues and rock etc... This is the PAF for metal.
                      I like very much PAFs for their tone but they have pretty low output for metal (some say you can use pedals but I don't know if this is enough, you know, thin high end etc...). On the other hand the high output pickups are a little flat and boring (not all of them ). So, the Custom has the vintage voice with extra modern "kick", perfect for me. I'd say, it's the more vintage of the higher output pickups.
                      Sorry if I am off the topic.
                      Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by pac112
                        are EMG-HZ on the epi zakk wylde and Gibson Iommi Humbuckers on the Epi Tony Iommi considered stock epi pups?

if yes.. the gibson iommi's rock! they're heavy and darker.....
                        The EMG -HZ's are non-active (no battery) and the the Iommi's are the real deal Gibsons, same as in the Gibson Tony Iommi.
                        Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                          ... what you want, a LP with JB (plus a Marshall bass head & Diezel VH4 ) should work.
                          Yeah, should be no problem getting those...

Comment

Originally posted by Metalblaze
                            A small review for the Custom TB-5:

I put the Custom in my guitar last week and I loved its tone. I play 80s and more modern metal and hard rock. It does everything without any problem. The thing that I like is that it has a vintage voice in its modern sound and makes a "tone from hell". The low end is strong and the palm mutes are very tight even on the low E string. The mids are just right. The high end has a "metal on metal" rattle that I like very much. You can hear the PAF voicing inside the whole sound with a more metallic twist. There are lots of PAFs for blues and rock etc... This is the PAF for metal.
                            I like very much PAFs for their tone but they have pretty low output for metal (some say you can use pedals but I don't know if this is enough, you know, thin high end etc...). On the other hand the high output pickups are a little flat and boring (not all of them ). So, the Custom has the vintage voice with extra modern "kick", perfect for me. I'd say, it's the more vintage of the higher output pickups.
                            Sorry if I am off the topic.

Great review, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X