Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquities, Alnico II P's, and Amps

Hi,

I have previously received wonderful advice here that led to purchasing and installing Antiquities Humbuckers, and A2Ps for Gibson Les Pauls. Now I find that I love both sets of pickups, and have taken on an amp project to install a Celestion G12 Alnico Blue 15W speaker in a 1953 Fender Deluxe "Wide Panel" amp, because of my fondness for the Alnico musical magnets, and because of the extraordinary reputation of the speaker.

What is the difference in magnets between the A2P and the Antiquities if any? I see that the Antiquities appear to have the same magnets as the Seths, but I'm not sure what that is.

Can someone help me out on pickups magnet questions related to this theme, and also maybe chime in on the amp project if you are aware of any relavent info.

Thanks!!!
    "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
    -Michael Bloomfield

Re: Antiquities, Alnico II P's, and Amps

If you look closely at the specs on the main SD site, you'll find that Antiquities, Seths, and APH-IIs all have alnico 2 magnets. They're each basically a version of a PAF, with the Antiquity being hand wound. The Seth, though, is likely wound on the old Gibson Leesona winder; not sure about the APH-II.

The magnet in your speaker is alnico 5. As Evan pointed out in a recent post, the lower the number, the lower the cobalt content and gauss strength.

The Celestion should sound great in the Deluxe, since tweed amps had alnico magnet Jensens.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Re: Curly,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! You have been a big help for me in pulling together some loose ends, that all seemed related, but just out of my reach.

PS I'd never try to poke you in the eyes!
      "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
      -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        If you look closely at the specs on the main SD site, you'll find that Antiquities, Seths, and APH-IIs all have alnico 2 magnets. They're each basically a version of a PAF, with the Antiquity being hand wound. The Seth, though, is likely wound on the old Gibson Leesona winder; not sure about the APH-II.

The magnet in your speaker is alnico 5. As Evan pointed out in a recent post, the lower the number, the lower the cobalt content and gauss strength.

The Celestion should sound great in the Deluxe, since tweed amps had alnico magnet Jensens.
        Nicely said Curly!

The other difference between the Ant and the APH-II/ Seth, is that the Ant's magnets have been weakend a bit to simulate aging. I know that the PG's are wound on the Leesona, so it's possible that the APH's are as well. A good question for Evan I think.

Jeff
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

The '59, Seths and Antiquities are all wound on the Leesona. They are all hand-wound, should say "hand-guided", but still, its a winding machine that spins the pickup.

The Antiquity models are wound by the masters themselves, MJ and Seymour. Most of the HBs are wound by MJ, Ive been said that SD is more into single-coils.

The Antiquity magnets are slightly weakened, like a +40 years-old PAF. The Seth and '59 have full strenght A2 and A5 respectively.

I believe the A2P is wound on other "modern" machines, but I could be wrong. I think the team wanted that mojo only for the '59/Seth/Ant.
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by MVI

PS I'd never try to poke you in the eyes!

Don't worry, someone got it.

Comment

make that two ; )
              Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
              X